Should I do Sub Internships at my top choices or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1117200

I am applying IM, I am a USDO with a 228 on step 1. I am being told conflicting advice on whether or not to do Sub-Is next year. Would I be better off doing Sub-Is or doing aways in IM subspecialties like Cardio, GI, Rheum, etc.? I am torn on what to do and my school emailed us today telling us to begin preparing for our auditions. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying IM, I am a USDO with a 228 on step 1. I am being told conflicting advice on whether or not to do Sub-Is next year. Would I be better off doing Sub-Is or doing aways in IM subspecialties like Cardio, GI, Rheum, etc.? I am torn on what to do and my school emailed us today telling us to begin preparing for our auditions. Thank you all!
I assume that you are required to do a subI month during 4th year. Doing away rotations especially a subI month can be tricky since you're having to work in a completely different system with unfamiliar attendings/housestaff etc etc which will come with growing pains in such a short duration of time when your aim is to impress so thats always something to think about especially if you want to do it at your top choice. I would just do a consult elective month if you were going to do an away rotation which is what I did.

Reactions: 1 user
I assume that you are required to do a subI month during 4th year. Doing away rotations especially a subI month can be tricky since you're having to work in a completely different system with unfamiliar attendings/housestaff etc etc which will come with growing pains in such a short duration of time when your aim is to impress so thats always something to think about especially if you want to do it at your top choice. I would just do a consult elective month if you were going to do an away rotation which is what I did.
I believe so, but im not 100% certain. I appreciate your input! I have a lot of places that I want to show I am interested in, but I wasnt sure how. You think doing an away in a consulting service would be better for my top picks over a sub I? I need a PD letter is the only problem, and Im not sure where I can get that. The hospital I rotate at does not have any residents... I was going to try and do the Sub I early for a program directors letter but I only get one chance and if that doesnt work out I would be screwed lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe so, but im not 100% certain. I appreciate your input! I have a lot of places that I want to show I am interested in, but I wasnt sure how. You think doing an away in a consulting service would be better for my top picks over a sub I? I need a PD letter is the only problem, and Im not sure where I can get that. The hospital I rotate at does not have any residents... I was going to try and do the Sub I early for a program directors letter but I only get one chance and if that doesnt work out I would be screwed lol
Is the PD letter requirement for your school or for the programs you are applying to ? For some reason I thought that programs required a letter from the Chair rather than the PD. I don't necessarily think one way is better than the other so you can certainly do the subI instead of a consult month. Perhaps depending on how many away rotations you are allowed, you can do an elective month at your top choice first in July to get familiar with the system followed by the subI month

Is the PD letter requirement for your school or for the programs you are applying to ? For some reason I thought that programs required a letter from the Chair rather than the PD. I don't necessarily think one way is better than the other so you can certainly do the subI instead of a consult month. Perhaps depending on how many away rotations you are allowed, you can do an elective month at your top choice first in July to get familiar with the system followed by the subI month
The programs I am applying to! I go to a DO school and we dont have our own department chair... I wanted to do an away at a pretty prestigious place not far from my home (within 2 hours), but I am worried that they will think I am an idiot. Its a top 20 IM residency, but I was going to try and do a Sub I there and get my LOR from them but my school doesnt offer much guidance. I should probably go somewhere for a letter where I will look good right? Thank you so much for responding to this by the way! I appreciate your help!

The programs I am applying to! I go to a DO school and we dont have our own department chair... I wanted to do an away at a pretty prestigious place not far from my home (within 2 hours), but I am worried that they will think I am an idiot. Its a top 20 IM residency, but I was going to try and do a Sub I there and get my LOR from them but my school doesnt offer much guidance. I should probably go somewhere for a letter where I will look good right? Thank you so much for responding to this by the way! I appreciate your help!
I actually did an away rotation at a top 10 medical school/hospital and was worried that I would look like an idiot since my medical school was not on the same level and the students I would be rotating with would be these geniuses but I just prepared as best as I could before and during the rotation and worked hard with a good attitude and everything turned out ok. CHF is CHF whether its at Johns Hopkins or Eastern Bumf**k OSH :)

Were you going to rotate at the top 20 IM hospital with the intent of applying there ? The only reason I ask is that a majority of those top tier programs are not really DO-friendly unfortunately so just FYI. I trained at a top 20 program and they don't take DOs. However, if you are going to rotate there just to try to get a good letter from them, then go ahead by all means

I actually did an away rotation at a top 10 medical school/hospital and was worried that I would look like an idiot since my medical school was not on the same level and the students I would be rotating with would be these geniuses but I just prepared as best as I could before and during the rotation and worked hard with a good attitude and everything turned out ok. CHF is CHF whether its at Johns Hopkins or Eastern Bumf**k OSH :)

Were you going to rotate at the top 20 IM hospital with the intent of applying there ? The only reason I ask is that a majority of those top tier programs are not really DO-friendly unfortunately so just FYI. I trained at a top 20 program and they don't take DOs. However, if you are going to rotate there just to try to get a good letter from them, then go ahead by all means
I would probably apply (they have taken like 1-2 DOs in the past 5 years), it isnt MGH or anything but my main intent is to get a letter and to learn a lot! Thank you so much this is all great advice!

Depends on the situation. In my opinion in internal medicine they have the potential to hurt unless you are very charismatic and/or a stand out medical student. This is very hard to be and impossible for some personalities. Residents (that aren't personal friends) don't really care enough to put in a good word thus you really have to be remarkable to leave an impression. Also IM is a larger residency with more attendings (many of which have little say in the admission process). This means more faces / more sub I's / etc.

All in all I think the most useful part of doing a sub I at places you are competitive for is determining if the place is the right fit for you rather than anything else. That being said if you are shooting for a program out of your league where you wouldn't otherwise have a shot .... it can be an opportunity for you.