Should I Dorm on Campus or Off Campus for Grad School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what you guys opinions are on living on or off campus for graduate school. I know that this varies by location but I am planning on applying to programs in the South Midwest and Northwest (I'm from the Northeast so its probably less in these regions). Do you guys think its more financially responsible to live on or off campus?

Members don't see this ad.

Which is cheaper? My med school didn't have a whole lot of on-campus housing for grad students, and the ones that did didn't have a kitchen, bathroom, etc, so they had to learn how to eat with minimal resources and be willing to share bathrooms with lots of other people. Consequently, most grad students weren't interested in such housing in the first place, and just found roommates for relatively inexpensive off-campus housing.

Financially, it doesn't really matter. Whichever is cheaper--go for it.

What you should ask though.....is does the on campus housing have any policies that you may dislike? I know some of the more conservative schools have policies for example on no opposite genders in the room after 9 PM or no parties and what not.

In the South and Midwest, housing tends to be cheap, especially if you plan to have roommates. But look into all of your options once you know where you'll be going to school, and pick whatever works best for you.