Should I drink coffee before the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codeblue023

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might seem like a dumb question, but I live in California and will travel to Ohio for an interview. Waking up at 6 AM for the interview in Ohio is like waking up at 3 AM in CA, so I'll definitely need something to keep me awake. For those who had to deal with different time zones, how did you guys deal with this issue? Would a small cup of coffee (100 mg caffeine) help me? I only drink coffee a couple of times a week. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it might give you jitters, so don't.

I would, but I drink at least a few cups daily. If you're waking up 2-3 hours before your interview and you have a cup just to get you going, I think you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol seriously how is someone supposed to answer this question? If you drink coffee to wake up normally then do it. If you don't then don't. Or do. The only person on this forum who knows how coffee affects you is you.

Reactions: 5 users
Guys, should I shower before my interview? Sometimes I don't have a good hair day after and I might not looked handsome. Thanks!

Reactions: 17 users
Guys, should I shower before my interview? Sometimes I don't have a good hair day after and I might not looked handsome. Thanks!

it might give you jitters, so don't.

Reactions: 1 user
He can always counteract the jitters from the coffee with some Colt 45.

Reactions: 1 users
Some of the questions people ask amaze me. Almost like should I make sure to use the bathroom before my car ride there....like idk use your head, drink a coffee if you want one.

I actually thought about the same thing - didn't want to breathe coffee breath on people at the school xD.

Melatonin will do the trick. Just make sure you get someone to wake you up or have an alarm in case you don't wake up!

This is kind of a silly post, but I have a relevant anecdote:

I woke up at like 4am for a research event a few hours away. I was presenting in the afternoon, but had to check in that morning. I was getting pretty tired before my presentation and decided it'd be a good idea to slam back a cup of coffee about 5 minutes before I presented.
Worst decision ever
My mouth became so suddenly dry and I could barely articulate a presentation I had prepared for months. I became uncomfortable and long story short I bombed something I absolutely would have crushed had I skipped (or at least didn't chug immediately prior) the cup of joe. It's funny to me now, but I learned a lesson that even when I'm tired I can still perform. Coffee will introduce risks to my performance, even if it wakes me up.

True story and I have a high tolerance for caffeine.

It depends on how often you drink it. If you drink a few cups a day, I'd say yes. If you don't, it's best not to. Just have a good breakfast.

I travel to places with +10hours difference. I usually feel extremely sleepy throughout my travel, but once I arrive to the place/meet my family, the sleepyness go away for while. It only comes back when I'm alone in a room.

I went from PST to EST for 2 interviews last year. No coffee. I was able to wake up/be alert fine. PS if you are interviewing at Ohio State, last year their interviews weren't till after lunch. But maybe you can arrive, check your itinerary and decide then. One coffee at 7-8 AM shouldn't give you shakes if you interview later in the afternoon.

Hi Codeblue,

Many individuals have their own practices before going to their interviews. Some wear their lucky ties, or socks. Some wake up extra early. Some take a cup of strong coffee.

We all know it — coffee is the one thing that can get you up and alert first thing in the morning. When going for an important job interview, you'll want to do all you can to ensure you get the job. Coffee helps in perking you up. If you had a long, sleepless night, and you want to appear more alert, then this is probably a good idea. The caffeine in coffee has aided individuals in improved mental capacities. According to me prefer to drink Bristot as it will help you in increasing your mental capability and it is not that much strong.
In the end, it is really up to you. If you know that coffee will be effective for you in terms of keeping you alert, then go ahead. :highfive:
:nono:Hey Bristot, Take your ads and BS elsewhere!

I drank coffee before I had one of my interviews. Had to run to the bathroom. Would not recommend.

I live on the west coast too and all of my interviews were on the east coast. I bought coffee but never drank it because I was so excited for the interview. Your nerves/excitement will get you through the interview. You will crash hard after each interview.