Should I drop this course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stupid9234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's Biology and I know I'm about to get a "Warning, you have a D, get out" email soon. We had 2 quizzes so far and I have done... bad. 40% each time. The two lowest quizzes get dropped, sucks that I had to use it so early, but will professors hold it against you? Oh, you got all As since you got 40's, no A for you type of mentality. Kind of a silly thought, but I was always told that professors take effort into account and since my school limits grades, I'm worried.
I really need all As this semester and am on the right track with posted grades in other classes, except for this one. Although I actually did put time into the class, it was pretty passive. Memorizing but not understanding.

I'm such a terrible student.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, as much as it sucks to get a withdrawl grade, do it while you can. I'd say it's pretty hard to go from getting 40s to 90s unless you really change the way you study. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Yes, as much as it sucks to get a withdrawl grade, do it while you can. I'd say it's pretty hard to go from getting 40s to 90s unless you really change the way you study. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
True, but I need this class anyways. If I can't do it now, will I be able to in the future? Also, pretty sure I just wasn't studying the professor's notes enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's Biology and I know I'm about to get a "Warning, you have a D, get out" email soon. We had 2 quizzes so far and I have done... bad. 40% each time. The two lowest quizzes get dropped, sucks that I had to use it so early, but will professors hold it against you? Oh, you got all As since you got 40's, no A for you type of mentality. Kind of a silly thought, but I was always told that professors take effort into account and since my school limits grades, I'm worried.
I really need all As this semester and am on the right track with posted grades in other classes, except for this one. Although I actually did put time into the class, it was pretty passive. Memorizing but not understanding.

I'm such a terrible student.

It may be a good idea, but if you know where and why you're falling short on the quizzes, now's the time to fix it, since none of them have directly affected your grade yet.

I think the bigger issue here though is that you're too self critical and anxious about school. Is it good to be conscientious of your grades and work hard to get the outcome you want? Absolutely. But it's not good to be overly anxious and beat yourself up when things aren't going the way you'd hoped. It's more important to learn from your mistakes and figure out why you're getting low quiz scores in this class, and then come back and knock the rest out of the park. Clearly you're not a terrible student because you're getting A's in your other classes. And I doubt you're stupid like your username suggests.

Life is more than getting a good test score. As a doctor, you're going to be faced with challenges like you are with this class. If things aren't working out for you, are you going to fold and believe it's because you're intellectually inferior, or are you going to accept the challenge, bounce back, and learn?

Just some food for thought.

Reactions: 2 users
It may be a good idea, but if you know where and why you're falling short on the quizzes, now's the time to fix it, since none of them have directly affected your grade yet.

I think the bigger issue here though is that you're too self critical and anxious about school. Is it good to be conscientious of your grades and work hard to get the outcome you want? Absolutely. But it's not good to be overly anxious and beat yourself up when things aren't going the way you'd hoped. It's more important to learn from your mistakes and figure out why you're getting low quiz scores in this class, and then come back and knock the rest out of the park. Clearly you're not a terrible student because you're getting A's in your other classes. And I doubt you're stupid like your username suggests.

Life is more than getting a good test score. As a doctor, you're going to be faced with challenges like you are with this class. If things aren't working out for you, are you going to fold and believe it's because you're intellectually inferior, or are you going to accept the challenge, bounce back, and learn?

Just some food for thought.
Thanks, anxiety does often take over. :(
I was just doing Calculus, ended up going past the time limit so now I'm stressed that I'll have -.2 percent off my total grade, as if it matters.

No, they don't care. They may even like that you perked up and to study. So sit back with a plate of brownies and go over those notes/book.
What are the best store-bought brownies? ;)

Thanks, anxiety does often take over. :(
I was just doing Calculus, ended up going past the time limit so now I'm stressed that I'll have -.2 percent off my total grade, as if it matters.

You're probably right, doesn't matter too much. You might have even done the smart thing by going over the time limit. If you were able to fix some answers worth more than the amount of points you lost, then taking the extra time was the right move.

A fifth of a percent isn't too many points anyways hahah ;)