Should I dual apply without research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anakinmemer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I coasted way too much in medical school and have a horrific resume, plain and simple. I'm applying in September

Pertinent info:
T10 school
3/7 Honors (peds, neuro, medicine), rest HP
260 step 2
No EC/volunteering other than one small thing I do like once every few months since high school
No posters/publications (involved with multiple projects currently but there's minimal chance they are published by september)

Should I dual apply to IM or something? Really wish I started research M1.

Members don't see this ad.

I coasted way too much in medical school and have a horrific resume, plain and simple. I'm applying in September

Pertinent info:
T10 school
3/7 Honors (peds, neuro, medicine), rest HP
260 step 2
No EC/volunteering other than one small thing I do like once every few months since high school
No posters/publications (involved with multiple projects currently but there's minimal chance they are published by september)

Should I dual apply to IM or something? Really wish I started research M1.
Historically research hasn’t been that important for radiology, but it depends on where you apply. Use charting outcomes to judge your competitiveness and apply broadly. If you’re a woman I bet you’re essentially guaranteed a spot with a 260 step 2 since PDs across the country are under huge pressure to improve female recruitment for some unknown reason. Don’t limit your applications to top tier programs only. Don’t underestimate regional bias (ie maximize applications in the region of your med school or states where you have a legitimate tie).

I would only dual apply if you genuinely think you would be content doing something else. You can always do a prelim and re-apply to direct R1 spot, albeit there aren’t many of those spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Historically research hasn’t been that important for radiology, but it depends on where you apply. Use charting outcomes to judge your competitiveness and apply broadly. If you’re a woman I bet you’re essentially guaranteed a spot with a 260 step 2 since PDs across the country are under huge pressure to improve female recruitment for some unknown reason. Don’t limit your applications to top tier programs only. Don’t underestimate regional bias (ie maximize applications in the region of your med school or states where you have a legitimate tie).

I would only dual apply if you genuinely think you would be content doing something else. You can always do a prelim and re-apply to direct R1 spot, albeit there aren’t many of those spots.
Am a male, appreciate the advice. Hopefully I can get a case report out or something before applications. Will definitely be applying to 80+ programs.

Last edited: