Should I even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWorried

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you should try applying; you will pass the first screen for most schools. Whether you get interviews/acceptances will largely depend on other aspects of your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, assuming the rest of your app is solid with no IA's or criminal background.

But I wanted to rub you the wrong way with my "puss." ... or maybe the right way.

3.63 is the cGPA I had when applying. It most certainly is not too low. As others have said, it will be the rest of your application that defines whether or not you have a shot at med school.

Since when is a 3.63 low? I thought that was just about the average accepted gpa

Apply very broadly, and consider DO schools (if you're willing to). A 3.63 isn't low, but it isn't competitive, so you'll need to shine in other areas.

You should be competitive for MD or DO programs as long as the rest of your application is well-rounded

A 3.6 GPA is avg for MD school matriculants; and > avg for most DO schools. 33 MCAT is avg.

So yes, apply, and apply broadly. MSAR On

I have a 3.63 GPA (2 C+'s in Organic, all other science B+ or better).

But this gpa is SO LOW. I took MCAT Twice (25 first try, 33 second try).....

Should I even bother applying?

I have about a 3.6 GPA as of now. How high it rises will depend on how I do next year (my junior year). I am debating whether or not to take biochem- which is known at my school as being one of the hardest classes taught by an insanely brilliant professor. I think I will learn alot but it might also tank my GPA.