Should I even bother applying with a 29 mcat? What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annonymous1309

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.75 undergrad cumulative GPA and recently received at 29 mcat (obviously not too excited about this). I also have a 4.0 in a masters of science and a fairly extensive research and volunteer background. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what my chances are of getting into an allopathic school are. Is it even worth applying without retaking the mcat? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.75 undergrad cumulative GPA and recently received at 29 mcat (obviously not too excited about this). I also have a 4.0 in a masters of science and a fairly extensive research and volunteer background. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what my chances are of getting into an allopathic school are. Is it even worth applying without retaking the mcat? Thanks for your help!
It's possible to get an MD acceptance depending on what else you have to bring to the table and/or whether you have a lenient in-state public med school. See the sticky for this forum regarding historical outcomes for various MCAT/GPA combinations.

For DO med schools you're a near shoo in if you can get a physician LOR, preferably from a DO. Many apply through both application services to improve their odds of success in one cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. You seem to have an excellent application in all areas except for the MCAT. And a 29 MCAT, though not ideal, is perfectly acceptable to many MD schools. Apply smartly and broadly, and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Invest in MSA Online and target those schools whose median scores are closest to your own.

Invest in MSA Online and target those schools whose median scores are closest to your own.

I agree with Goro. Look at the MSAR and apply strategically. I know our applications/stories are probably much different, but I have a 29 MCAT and I am currently sitting at 8 MD and 1 DO interview. Apply early and best of luck!

I should let it be noted that I haven't actually been accepted anywhere, though.