Should I get an MS in biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg1985

Reaction score
Hey Y’all,

I live in a small town in west Texas. The only two universities we have are an AG school and a school almost entirely devoted to petroleum engineering. I married one of those engineers soooo I’m stuck here until I actually get into a med school and then we can relocate. I want to be a rheumatologist - more like need to be a rheumatologist! I have a BS in biology from the Ag school (3.89) and I’m taking a few of the prereq courses I have left that weren’t required like physics and biochem before taking the MCAT probs January 2021. I’m older, 35. Will likely be 37 when/if I get into med school. Assuming I score decent on my mcat (510 or higher?) I’m trying to figure out how to make myself more attractive to specifically Texas tech, or dell. That same Ag school has an MS in biology that I could do, or I could do an online MPH really anywhere it’s so available. Or should I be spending that time doing something else? Like I said I did the DIY prereq thing so my letters of recommendation will be from dr.’s I shadow with, professors etc but not like a committee. I feel like I need more than good academics and mcat.... just dont want to begin a program that may feel random or unnecessary when the goal is med school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Y’all,

I live in a small town in west Texas. The only two universities we have are an AG school and a school almost entirely devoted to petroleum engineering. I married one of those engineers soooo I’m stuck here until I actually get into a med school and then we can relocate. I want to be a rheumatologist - more like need to be a rheumatologist! I have a BS in biology from the Ag school (3.89) and I’m taking a few of the prereq courses I have left that weren’t required like physics and biochem before taking the MCAT probs January 2021. I’m older, 35. Will likely be 37 when/if I get into med school. Assuming I score decent on my mcat (510 or higher?) I’m trying to figure out how to make myself more attractive to specifically Texas tech, or dell. That same Ag school has an MS in biology that I could do, or I could do an online MPH really anywhere it’s so available. Or should I be spending that time doing something else? Like I said I did the DIY prereq thing so my letters of recommendation will be from dr.’s I shadow with, professors etc but not like a committee. I feel like I need more than good academics and mcat.... just dont want to begin a program that may feel random or unnecessary when the goal is med school. Thanks!
Are there any clinical jobs you could get in the interim?

Are there any clinical jobs you could get in the interim?
I probably could grab some hours at the free clinic when they allow it again. Covid has kept my in person volunteering to a minimum due to new rules. Mostly taking craft supplies and snacks to nursing homes lately. I know some people recommend an SMP. There’s a college an hour and half from my house that offers one but that’s pretty substantial day after day. Although I did sit in my car that long when I lived in DC driving to work every day, I didn’t have hours of studying to do when I got home!

Members don't see this ad :)
I probably could grab some hours at the free clinic when they allow it again. Covid has kept my in person volunteering to a minimum due to new rules. Mostly taking craft supplies and snacks to nursing homes lately. I know some people recommend an SMP. There’s a college an hour and half from my house that offers one but that’s pretty substantial day after day. Although I did sit in my car that long when I lived in DC driving to work every day, I didn’t have hours of studying to do when I got home!

SMP doesn’t seem necessary since you’re already taking the pre-req’s and your undergrad GPA is good. SMPs are typically expensive.

If you’re just looking for something to do while waiting to apply, why not get a phlebotomist certification and work? It would give you lots of clinical experience.

SMP doesn’t seem necessary since you’re already taking the pre-req’s and your undergrad GPA is good. SMPs are typically expensive.

If you’re just looking for something to do while waiting to apply, why not get a phlebotomist certification and work? It would give you lots of clinical experience.
I actually hadn’t thought of this... I thought maybe a cna but it didn’t sound very appealing. I’ll see what’s in my area!! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I thought a year of Physics was a core requirement for a Biology degree and Biochemistry was a major requirement for a Biology degree. Or are you doing an advanced Physics course (Physics for an engineering program)?

You certainly don't need to do an SMP with the high GPA that you have. I would not bother getting an MS in Biology. Just focus on what you don't have (Physics and Biochem) and study for the MCAT. Have you tried getting a job as a scribe or a medical assistant? These jobs would also cover shadowing.

Biochem and physics and even organic chem were not required for my BS! If I had minored in chem I think they would have been but I minored in psych before I knew I really wanted to attack this. I’ve looked into the scribe thing but I’m kind of confused about the cert process.... seems like there’s a lot of options and I’m not sure which are legit. My local CC offers phlebotomy and cna or an emt cert. but yeah I’d rather avoid a masters at all Bc of the time suck when I could be getting clinical hours. Just wasn’t sure how “only a BS” from a mid level school would look? But doesn’t seem to matter much maybe.