Should I go for it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decisionstomake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from an accredited 4 year University with a non-traditional major. (I am saying this while cringing simultaneously) my major was criminal justice and criminology. While it certainly is not the easiest major (it required two lab sciences of any sort, Statistics (which I took and passed twice), many research papers with theses, and the discussing of philosophical concepts or theories, etc) it is one of the worst majors to get in the United States. (Why isn't art history worse than mine???? What? or Communications where they sit around all day???) My honest opinion about it was that it was probably overall a lower-medium level of difficulty.

In the end, I finished with a GPA of 3.4 which was pretty much a cumulative score of my junior and senior year with senior year being mostly As with an occasional B. I originally wanted to go to law school which is part of the reason I stuck with this major but these days law school is for 99% of people, a waste of time and a bigger waste of money. Unless you're at a Tier I school AND at the top 10% of your class, the jobs just don't pay good enough amounts.

I am getting to my question. I see a lot of people that come from engineering backgrounds or law backgrounds where they were in the lucky 10% of their class somehow and got rich. Good for them. I would say I'm extremely good at reading, writing, discussing and comprehending advanced philosophical concepts, and memorizing. I am medium at math, I got a B- and then an A- or an A on my statistics classes. If I want I can be good at science.

Ok but I'm certainly not an engineer or a computer scientist or Tier I law school material. I don't think I could be an engineer either. I'm wondering whether or not I should go to medical school. Should I? Do I have potential if I do the pre-requisites or should I just aim for something else?

My problem is that I am extremely smart and I need a way to prove that I am so that I can get a well-paying job. I read science fiction all the time that deals with highly advanced concepts and discussions. My bachelors degree is not cutting it for me job wise. I also want to see people and society in general become healthy and happy.

Members don't see this ad.

Back up. Why do you want to be a doctor?

I think you should work on a passionate and well informed answer to that question. Try shadowing a doctor or other health care team member. You might find out that you actually really like allied health or nursing or something. Then if you still want to be a doctor, take a couple of hard science classes and see how you do.

I don't think we can tell you if you have the potential to be a doctor based off of your grade in a stats class.

If you are really just looking at being a doctor because you want a career that pays more, there are tons of options. I worked for an insurance company for a while, there were always job openings and it paid great. The progression was amazing. There are options out there. My bf is a software developer and he didn't even have that much exposure to programming when he started, and he is getting paid great. If you want to be a doctor, awesome! But if you just want to get paid money, there are a lot of easier routes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from an accredited 4 year University with a non-traditional major. (I am saying this while cringing simultaneously) my major was criminal justice and criminology. While it certainly is not the easiest major (it required two lab sciences of any sort, Statistics (which I took and passed twice), many research papers with theses, and the discussing of philosophical concepts or theories, etc) it is one of the worst majors to get in the United States. (Why isn't art history worse than mine???? What? or Communications where they sit around all day???) My honest opinion about it was that it was probably overall a lower-medium level of difficulty.

In the end, I finished with a GPA of 3.4 which was pretty much a cumulative score of my junior and senior year with senior year being mostly As with an occasional B. I originally wanted to go to law school which is part of the reason I stuck with this major but these days law school is for 99% of people, a waste of time and a bigger waste of money. Unless you're at a Tier I school AND at the top 10% of your class, the jobs just don't pay good enough amounts.

I am getting to my question. I see a lot of people that come from engineering backgrounds or law backgrounds where they were in the lucky 10% of their class somehow and got rich. Good for them. I would say I'm extremely good at reading, writing, discussing and comprehending advanced philosophical concepts, and memorizing. I am medium at math, I got a B- and then an A- or an A on my statistics classes. If I want I can be good at science.

Ok but I'm certainly not an engineer or a computer scientist or Tier I law school material. I don't think I could be an engineer either. I'm wondering whether or not I should go to medical school. Should I? Do I have potential if I do the pre-requisites or should I just aim for something else?

My problem is that I am extremely smart and I need a way to prove that I am so that I can get a well-paying job. I read science fiction all the time that deals with highly advanced concepts and discussions. My bachelors degree is not cutting it for me job wise. I also want to see people and society in general become healthy and happy.

So you're extremely smart, but not T1 law school material? Extremely smart, but a 3.4 in criminal justice? Why do you want to be a doctor, and maybe you should take a few pre-reqs to see if you actually can do as well as you think. If you just want to help people and make money, you can definitely find an easier route.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow. There are so many contradictions in OP's post. You are extremely smart but you are seeking/looking for advice from random posters on sdn...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm wondering whether or not I should go to medical school. Should I? Do I have potential if I do the pre-requisites or should I just aim for something else?
Do you really think strangers on the Internet have the answer to this for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk