Should i go into pharmacy school now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not all of us live in our car like you.
Well if you don't want to live in a vehicle you should have picked a more financially responsible major... That's unrealistic expectations to go to school for pharmacy and expect to just be handed a high paying job. Competition is everywhere and intense.

Members don't see this ad.

There will ALWAYS be enough jobs for pharmacists if you are willing to work for a low enough wage. You may have to accept that working as a pharmacist will pay less than a city bus driver in the future.
That is not true. I tried.
As a pharmacist you are a huge liability if you don`t do your job properly. Employers will not hire anyone who sells themselves so cheap in the first place. You don`t get to call the shot as a pharmacist. Employers do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can actually close out and complete this whole thread with one word "NO".....lmao.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, i am accepted to USC school of pharmacy and I am wondering if I just move on and complete the degree or should I drop out and choose another career path like statistician( I have passion in both math and chemistry) Should I pursue dual degree while in pharmacy school to get a job right after graduation? Is USC a well established school that every student get a job after graduation?

No. No.

Hi everyone, i am accepted to USC school of pharmacy and I am wondering if I just move on and complete the degree or should I drop out and choose another career path like statistician( I have passion in both math and chemistry) Should I pursue dual degree while in pharmacy school to get a job right after graduation? Is USC a well established school that every student get a job after graduation?

I'd recommend going to medical school, unless you truly love pharmacy.
Also consider the amount of debt/loans you will be in post-grad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd recommend going to medical school, unless you truly love pharmacy.
Also consider the amount of debt/loans you will be in post-grad.

Even if you "truly love pharmacy", remember.... pharmacy does not love us. so ........ NO.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you talking about Chicago? There are 6 schools of pharmacy in Chicago, there is no home field advantage.

Pretty sure that college loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

If anyone is old and near retirement, why would they want to invest in a PharmD? It's make more sense just to get a minimum wage job, instead of taking on tens of thousands of dollars debt.

Difficult but not impossible. One must file an adversary proceeding along with chapter 7 bankruptcy to attempt the loan discharge.

Have you looked into actuary? It is heavily based on math. Amazing salary

there's never been a better time to go into the wonderful field of pharmacy :troll:

Have you looked into actuary? It is heavily based on math. Amazing salary

I have considered this as well but, based on what I've researched, there is a huge barrier to entry in the form of years of studying for exams.

I have considered this as well but, based on what I've researched, there is a huge barrier to entry in the form of years of studying for exams.

Wait, you mean an in-demand career with good job opportunity and growth is not easy to get into?? I wonder why it's not saturated like pharmacy!

Last edited:
Wait, you mean an in-demand career with good job opportunity and growth is not easy to get into?? I wonder why it's not saturated like pharmacy!

I'm not saying it's not a better option than pharmacy (that's not a very high bar), only that it's a lot of training/education and there are probably better alternatives from a financial standpoint. Becoming an actuary can take 7-10 years.

But, I suppose you could argue that the barrier of entry does help ensure its security. Even so, pharmacy with its 6 years of school isn't really a modest barrier either. Let's also not forget in the late 2000s that the BLS projected strong growth for pharmacy over the next 20 years, look how that turned out...

Last edited:
Pharmacy schools are screwing their students with false promises of the job market and wages, all the while adding more seats to their classes and increasing tuition. In four years, you have to be lucky to find something after graduating in California because of all the new schools that have opened the past five years. It's ridiculous this is being allowed, but it's all about making students pull out 200K in loans to enrich those working and "teaching" in these pharmacy schools. Do the math if you go to USC and owe 200-300K in loans and get an offer of $45-$50/hr at 20-30 hrs/week. Is it worth it? You're better off going for medical or nursing school, or do stats.

Last edited: