Should I Go On???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omidjoon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: I just finished my freshman year with 5 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's... the B's and C's came in my Biology and Chemistry classes... should I even bother continuing or should I look into another field?? I really like medicine and it runs my family (although my dad went to Mexico and my uncle went to a DO school) so I really dont care how I become a doctor so long as I become one. Prestige and all that stuff is no issue. Your input is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1 word 4 letters: QUIT

Q is for Quit
U is for Usefully
I is for In
T is for Time

If you truly want to be a doctor, then go for it: because your desire to fill your dream (if that is the case) will reflect with the admission commitees. But only if you are passionate about medicine. Otherwise - QUIT.

That is just one persons advice. You can do anything if you put your mind to it. Reach for the moon, and if you miss, you'll be among the stars!

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the OP knows the answer to his question, but im guessing hes just looking for reassurance.

yes, obviously u should go on. u still have 3 more years to improve ur grades, and an upward trend is looked at as well. just make sure u put ur grades first, ECs second, research third.

Omidjoon said:
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: I just finished my freshman year with 5 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's... the B's and C's came in my Biology and Chemistry classes... should I even bother continuing or should I look into another field?? I really like medicine and it runs my family (although my dad went to Mexico and my uncle went to a DO school) so I really dont care how I become a doctor so long as I become one. Prestige and all that stuff is no issue. Your input is much appreciated.

You can get into med school with 2 c's easily.

Move on.

ianwright said:
1 word 4 letters: QUIT

Q is for Quit
U is for Usefully
I is for In
T is for Time

If you truly want to be a doctor, then go for it: because your desire to fill your dream (if that is the case) will reflect with the admission commitees. But only if you are passionate about medicine. Otherwise - QUIT.

That is just one persons advice. You can do anything if you put your mind to it. Reach for the moon, and if you miss, you'll be among the stars!

Hahaha Love that.
Honestly though my best friend from childhood went off to better college than I, had a prominent father in surgery pushing him to the same and he got similar grades to you (bunch of Bs and Cs) his first year. He quit premed immediately, went on to Law/MBA, got a great job, bought a house, got married, bought a second house in Maui and a new Lexus. I went to a top med school and a top residency after working my ass off in undergrad for great grades/doing research and now got a supposedly great job in medicine...and I live in crappy apartment, drive a beater Honda, have big time med school loans to payback and am single. Ummmm, yeah someone lied to me.

LADoc00 said:
Hahaha Love that.
Honestly though my best friend from childhood went off to better college than I, had a prominent father in surgery pushing him to the same and he got similar grades to you (bunch of Bs and Cs) his first year. He quit premed immediately, went on to Law/MBA, got a great job, bought a house, got married, bought a second house in Maui and a new Lexus. I went to a top med school and a top residency after working my ass off in undergrad for great grades/doing research and now got a supposedly great job in medicine...and I live in crappy apartment, drive a beater Honda, have big time med school loans to payback and am single. Ummmm, yeah someone lied to me.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LADoc00 said:
Hahaha Love that.

LOL, yeah, I would have been bored senseless in business and Law School is even more cutthroat than med school, BUT I wouldn't be 200+K in debt, single w/ no prospects (well at least none that don't make me want to join a convent STAT). Have fun living the dream!

Seriously, my grades were like yours my first year of college and I'm about to graduate from a "ranked" medical school and successfully matched. I do think medicine itself is fascinating, and I like the patients, but like everyone else in my class, I sometimes seriously question whether I would have chosen medicine again..

I'm guessing your Persian, right? Well, from one Persian to another, live up to your name and always have "omid" (hope)! You can do this! I suggest taking sci. elective classes this summer at your local state school or community college to float your sci GPA a little bit. If you wanted, you could get a head start on O Chem 1 at your state school, but I guess that all depends on how hard it is at your own college.

QUIT. Med school sucks. And a career in medicine is awful. Get out while you can. Pursue interesting studies, get your BA, and find a real job. Medicine isn't a desirable career anymore.

I am really glad I ran across this thread... I'm in a similar situation. I've had a REALLY bad year after a great freshman year with this past semester being the worst ever. I've battled illness and personal trials all semester and felt myself to be lucky to have even made it through the semester, when ti would've been much easier to drop out. I had started to wonder if my chances were shot, but I know I can do much better junior and senior year.

Hey Omidjoon,

If medicine is really what you want to do, GO FOR IT! I had similar grades as you during my first year in college.....discovered alcohol, partied a little too much, didn't really know what I wanted to do in life, and pretty much just chilled my whole freshmen year (well, I was recruited to play tennis for the university, so that is the only thing I wanted to do, not study). But I had something happen to me during the summer after my freshmen yr that made me become interested in medicine. To make a long story short, I decided that medicine was what I wanted to do with my life and worked really hard for the last 3 yrs of college. Took the Aug MCAT after graduation and did a yr of research while applying to med school. Now 5 years later, I am going to graduate in 1 week from a top 25 ranked medical school and going into orthopedics surgery.

Now looking back at everything, I think it is very hard to decide whether medcine is the right career for you when you are in high school or college. I thought I knew what medicine was about by volunteering and following Docs in college... well, I was wrong, then I thought I knew about medicine after the first 2 years of medical school..... well, I was wrong again. Now, with graduation in just 1 week and after finishing 4 yrs of med school, I think I am just beginning to understand what the career of medicine "really" encompasses, but I am sure there are still be alot of things that I will learn about this career in residency. There are good things about being a doctor as well as bad things, just like everything else you do in life. Am I jealous that someone at 27 yrs old with a business or law degree making 6 figures, driving a sweet sports car, having a nice place, with "less" or no debt to think about, and married or have a hot girlfriend.......Not really (ok, maybe a little bit about the hot girlfriend :laugh: ), because in life, material things don't mean much to me, but finding happiness does. For me, the opportunity to help someone improve the quality of their life gives me happiness that money can't buy (this might sound corny, but it is true). I don't want to be in a career only to make money, because I might not have enough motivation to get out of bed each morning. :sleep: That is definitely what I don't want because I hate getting out bed as is :D.

I will give you a few cases that I seen during the last two clinical years in med school. In my ortho rotation, I have seen patients that come to the clinic with knee pain for years and they can't do anything, bearly walking with the help of a cane, seeking help. After a total knee replacement, 2 months post op, these patients would walk into the clinic, pain free, and telling everyone how they now can walk to the supermarket, go play golf, and how their lives is so much better than before..... I have also seen a teenager that was shot 4 times rolled into the ER, after multiple surgeries, and many days in the hospital,..... he lived and walked out of the hospital..... I delivered several babies on my own during my Ob/Gyn rotation and I can tell you that it is an incredible feeling to hand the baby to the mother/father while it is still crying and with slime all over (almost droped one :D ). I noticed that no matter how old the father is, what kind of job they do, their race, etc,.. They all have the same reactions holding their own baby for the first time........ Only medicine gives you these opportunities and the education to help people in these ways and to see/experience the emotions first hand. The above is only 3 cases (very very few) that I have seen in the last two years and there are so many more things that you will be able to do, see, and experience first hand with a MD degree (not just doing knee replacements, saving trauma patients, or delivering babies). You will experience sadness as well as happiness in the things that you see and do in medicine..... and for me, there is no better career than being a physician!!!!

The bottom line is that only you know what will make you happy in life.... and if that is a career in medicine, then by all means, work hard and go for it!!! If you don't get in the first time, try again, and if you don't get in the 2nd time, then try again... until you get in. I know a person who got in on their 4th attempt. But if you can see your self happier or just as happy doing "something else" other than medicine, than go for that "something else". :) Don't go into medicine because your dad wants you to be a doctor or doctors run in the family. Listen to your heart! :cool:

don't quit. You can always go the carribean worse come to worse, and eventually you will pass your boards. You can get into an american school if you do well later on. Usually freshman classes are hard to get good grades in because they don't "hand out" good grades like they do in higher level courses, where participation, understanding, and learning are more important. Freshman classes are all about giving you tests emphasizing minutia. Later on you will find that most of your grades will come from papers or tests where knowing the main ideas will net you a good grade.

19 is too early to give up on anything. good luck.

Omidjoon said:

I believe that if you truly want to become a physician, those 2 C's will not keep you away from it. Use these C's as stepping stones. Aim higher for next semester and keep building until you have an awesome GPA, study hard for the MCAT, and write a dynamic personal statement. Remember, you are in your freshman year, you have time to build and improve. Just work one day at a time! You can do it, don't give up!

i got a D in first year chem lab, and i got into two ranked schools.

bugger it!

Omidjoon said:

2 C's won't keep you out of med school..... Study hard and take time to enjoy life. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good fortune

Clearly you need to improve your performance in the sciences. What do you think went wrong?

medstyle said:
don't quit. You can always go the carribean worse come to worse, and eventually you will pass your boards. You can get into an american school if you do well later on. Usually freshman classes are hard to get good grades in because they don't "hand out" good grades like they do in higher level courses, where participation, understanding, and learning are more important. Freshman classes are all about giving you tests emphasizing minutia. Later on you will find that most of your grades will come from papers or tests where knowing the main ideas will net you a good grade.

19 is too early to give up on anything. good luck.

You don't have to go to the carribean if you make some C's.

liverotcod said:
Clearly you need to improve your performance in the sciences. What do you think went wrong?

in all honesty.... i am the type of person who has a hard time just looking in a book and learning it (which is basically what i had to do all semester b/c i had real real incompetent professors, not that i'm trying to make excuses) but i need some sort of tutoring of sorts i guess in order for me to fully grasp the concepts i guess... all i know is that i damn near killed myself this semester and for me to fall as short as i did is real disheartening

Omidjoon said:

* pets OP’s skull violently to assure him/her*