Should I go to ASHP midyear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

young skywalker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
First year here. I haven't bought my ticket to orlando yet, so it's going to cost around $300. Housing is not that bad though, about 20 bucks a night. The conference fee I get reinbursed. My question is, is it worth it?
Can some upper classment share their experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard is generally more useful for 3rd and 4th years. The important thing at midyear is the residency showcase, where you explore residencies and chat with representatives from different programs. Since you won't apply for residency until your last year of pharm school, it's jumping the gun a little to go as a first year. Of course if you get reimbursed, that's cool. My school will only reimburse 3rd and 4th year students, and the professors won't reschedule final exams for 1st and 2nd years that want to go. Basically for the same reasons I described above.

From attending the APhA event last April, these events are worth it for the networking aspect of it, and the mountains of free crap from the vendors at the expo. You can also see how the residency process is set up, which is the reason why I am going, besides the clinical skills competition