Should I go to current student session before interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am back (temporarily) prior to my interview. I wasn’t planning on posting until after, but I need advice regarding one of my interviews. Should I be attending the virtual student meet and greets. I’ve done a small cost benefit analysis below. It would be much appreciated if SDN could offer some insight.

Benefits to attendance:
-Great chance to demonstrate interest in the school.
-Opportunity to hear some specific information (not found on website) that might impress interviewers.
-Gain insight into specific elements and tips for interviews that are unique to the school. Ex. Being told you should look over medical ethics prior to the interview.

Costs:
-None of the other fellow applicants show up. It ends up being a somewhat awkward 5 on 1 Q&A with students who likely also sit on admissions committee.
-Additional situation in which an applicant may come across as unfavorable (ie. He/she is liked but not well liked)

When I previously applied, I went to none of these sessions (which were in person and thus more difficult to track). It had no bearing on my gaining acceptances but I was a much stronger (and presumably more desirable) applicant then. I may have just had more leeway (ex. Went into interview on a higher step based on goro’s stair model)

Members don't see this ad.

If they are optional to attend then it doesn't matter in regards to you getting accepted or not. That said, you should go. The interviews go both ways and these sessions are one of the best ways for you to evaluate your own interest and fit in the program.

When I previously applied, I went to none of these sessions (which were in person and thus more difficult to track). It had no bearing on my gaining acceptances but I was a much stronger (and presumably more desirable) applicant then. I may have just had more leeway (ex. Went into interview on a higher step based on goro’s stair model)
So you applied before, got acceptances, decided not to attend, and are now applying again? That's bold.

If they are optional to attend then it doesn't matter in regards to you getting accepted or not. That said, you should go. The interviews go both ways and these sessions are one of the best ways for you to evaluate your own interest and fit in the program.

So you applied before, got acceptances, decided not to attend, and are now applying again? That's bold.
Not by choice. I can pm you if you’re interested in further details but I’d rather not get too specific on the general forum tbh

Members don't see this ad :)
Not by choice. I can pm you if you’re interested in further details but I’d rather not get too specific on the general forum tbh
No, that's okay. It's your business--not mine--and I'm not judging. Obviously you're getting interviews so it's seemingly not holding you back. Just be prepared to really justify it if it comes up in an interview because on the surface it invites serious doubt about your commitment.

Reactions: 1 users
So I am back (temporarily) prior to my interview. I wasn’t planning on posting until after, but I need advice regarding one of my interviews. Should I be attending the virtual student meet and greets. I’ve done a small cost benefit analysis below. It would be much appreciated if SDN could offer some insight.

Benefits to attendance:
-Great chance to demonstrate interest in the school.
-Opportunity to hear some specific information (not found on website) that might impress interviewers.
-Gain insight into specific elements and tips for interviews that are unique to the school. Ex. Being told you should look over medical ethics prior to the interview.

Costs:
-None of the other fellow applicants show up. It ends up being a somewhat awkward 5 on 1 Q&A with students who likely also sit on admissions committee.
-Additional situation in which an applicant may come across as unfavorable (ie. He/she is liked but not well liked)

This isn't your first time at the rodeo -- why are you soliciting advice on this?

By the way, it's @LizzyM's staircase, not @Goro's! :) If you think attending optional virtual current student sessions will mitigate your drop on the staircase, you should go.

In fact, if you are worried about your drop on the staircase, you should probably do every single thing humanly possible to try to mitigate, with absolutely no guarantee that anything will actually help at the end of the day. Why take the time to compile pros and cons? Cons are irrelevant if you need to overcome a handicap.

Personally, I don't think you should alter your approach at all. Overcoming your issue will be wholly dependent on the attitude of the adcom, and will not be impacted by your participation in optional activities.

TBH your "costs" are very trivial. Also, most schools do not have students on admissions committees they are most likely just ambassadors or something like that and have little to no influence on your admission status. In reality, if you want to go, then go to the meeting and ask questions. These meetings informal or formal were the most beneficial to me when interviewing because I was able to find out real information about schools and problems with students faced, I even turned down an acceptance based on information I learned from one of these meetings.

Reactions: 1 user
TBH your "costs" are very trivial. Also, most schools do not have students on admissions committees they are most likely just ambassadors or something like that and have little to no influence on your admission status. In reality, if you want to go, then go to the meeting and ask questions. These meetings informal or formal were the most beneficial to me when interviewing because I was able to find out real information about schools and problems with students faced, I even turned down an acceptance based on information I learned from one of these meetings.
Even if a school does have students who do interviews and/or serve on the Adcom, they're not going to be at the info meetings. That's too much to ask for in a student.

Reactions: 1 user