Should I go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthony T

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be 21 in a few weeks. I went to college for the past 3 years not knowing what I wanted to do for sure. I dropped out last semester to take some time off and really decide so I wouldn't be taking classes that I didn't know if I needed, and wasting money.

I wanted to do pharmacy originally, but after working in a pharmacy, I just don't know if that's the type of work environment I'd want to have until I retire. I really want something with more respect and more hands-on taking care of patients.

Since I'm already almost 21, I figured I'd try to get into a PA program. It seems like something I would be content with, but I don't like the idea of having that salary cap and never really being able to own my own practice one day.

I went on a PA forum and most of the people on that site say that if you're under 25, you should really just go to med school, and that being a PA is for 'older' people who already have medical experience.

I really do like the idea of being a doctor, but I figured since I'm already 3 years out of high school that med school was out of the question. Do you think I should give it a shot, or am I safer taking the PA route?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be 21 in a few weeks. I went to college for the past 3 years not knowing what I wanted to do for sure. I dropped out last semester to take some time off and really decide so I wouldn't be taking classes that I didn't know if I needed, and wasting money.

I wanted to do pharmacy originally, but after working in a pharmacy, I just don't know if that's the type of work environment I'd want to have until I retire. I really want something with more respect and more hands-on taking care of patients.

Since I'm already almost 21, I figured I'd try to get into a PA program. It seems like something I would be content with, but I don't like the idea of having that salary cap and never really being able to own my own practice one day.

I went on a PA forum and most of the people on that site say that if you're under 25, you should really just go to med school, and that being a PA is for 'older' people who already have medical experience.

I really do like the idea of being a doctor, but I figured since I'm already 3 years out of high school that med school was out of the question. Do you think I should give it a shot, or am I safer taking the PA route?
Unfortunately, only you can really answer this question. My guess is that if you have to ask, you aren't sold on it either. If you aren't 100% in, don't do it.

Med school is certainly not out of the question, although you may have to extend your undergraduate time to take the appropriate courses and gain the appropriate experiences.

What you should do now is shadow physicians to see if being one is something you really want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah dude don't go to PA school. You're only 21. You may need to take a year off b/w college and med school in order to get everything in order to apply, take the MCAT, and what not but it's worth it in the long run. There are TONS of options for jobs outside med school.

PA school I would say is for people who either are a point in their lives where training to be a MD would be too time intensive (i.e. they are already say 28 and they wouldn't be done with everything until their mid-late 30s depending on what they do) or for people who don't want the responsibility, workload, training, etc of a MD or for people who just do not have the ability to get into med school but want to treat patients.

Personally, the PA students I have interacted with have not been impressive in the least (they lack the basic knowledge of pathophys, drug mechanisms, critical thinking ability, etc etc that all med students acquire). Now I'm sure most will be competent in the future but as of now I don't think I'd want a PA working for me if it came down to it...

The average age of students matriculating to med school is usually 24, so you have time to do the pre-reqs, take the MCATs, build up your resume, etc. But really take some time to shadow and get clinical experience to see if you could really see yourself in the field of medicine in the future, because from what I heard, those who rush into medicine usually regret it due to the lack of personal time one gets if they were in another field like pharmacy.

I know at least one young PA.

About pharmacy: if you get into a residency after pharm school you have many more options than working at Walgreens. You can become an indispensable part of the medical team at the hospital. You will save lives.

Unfortunately, only you can really answer this question. My guess is that if you have to ask, you aren't sold on it either. If you aren't 100% in, don't do it.

I am sold on it, I was just wondering if my age is something that could get in the way, since I am not fresh out of high school anymore...

Seriously? You're 21, get lost.

Seriously? You're 21, get lost.

+1. I'm 30 and maybe applying this year. You have plenty of time to go to med school if thats what you want to do. I never even considered becoming a doctor for one second until I was laid off from a finance job at 28 and decided to do an EMT class for fun. EMT class led to questioning my career choice which led to a post bacc, then the MCAT. You need to remember that you still have 45 years of work (at least) ahead of you.

+1. I'm 30 and maybe applying this year. You have plenty of time to go to med school if thats what you want to do. I never even considered becoming a doctor for one second until I was laid off from a finance job at 28 and decided to do an EMT class for fun. EMT class led to questioning my career choice which led to a post bacc, then the MCAT. You need to remember that you still have 45 years of work (at least) ahead of you.

Future Dr. Buzzkill over here

Go shadow an MD and a PA and get an idea of what they do. You sort of have to go after what you are passionate about. There is no safer route.

Go PA. It's a great job.

If you want to go to med school there's nothing stopping you as long as you put in the time and effort. You're only 21. It's not a big deal (unless there are financial difficulties).

The average age of students matriculating to med school is usually 24, so you have time to do the pre-reqs, take the MCATs, build up your resume, etc. But really take some time to shadow and get clinical experience to see if you could really see yourself in the field of medicine in the future, because from what I heard, those who rush into medicine usually regret it due to the lack of personal time one gets if they were in another field like pharmacy.

nice avatar :thumbup::laugh:

Depends on your GPA.

If you have to ask "Should I go to med school?" the answer is always a no.
If you have to ask "Should I put down Hispanic or ____ on the application form" the answer is always a no.

I really mean that.

Before entering medical school you should know exactly what a doctor does. This is why there is a family bias, these people know.

Shadow like the afternoon sun.

You sound too immature for either career. Go shadow, volunteer, and reflect. Your age is not a problem. Go visit the non-traditional forum if you are having doubts about it.