Should I go to medical school or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parasiteeater13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, need in much need of advice here.

So I had applied the cycle of 2021-2022 in which just 5 minutes ago, I have been accepted from the WL into a medical school to fill in their empty seats. However, I had already talked myself of applying to medical school a while back and had actually become more active in applying to programs such as AA programs (anesthesiologist assistant).

Now I'm in a pickle as I'm not sure if I want to take the offer or not?

On one hand, it's medical school, a lifetime opportunity here in which not anyone can get; plus I'm pretty sure this would prevent me from ever being accepted again in the near future if I reject this call.

On other hand, I don't think I want to move to NC for four years as I acclimated to the Midwest; furthermore, most of my drive in attending medical school has long been gone from this whole waiting game as well as me talking myself out of it. And I think I have a good thing going on with the AA programs especially after the fact that I had met with one of the head honchos of the AA programs that I was super interested in; he seem liked he was ready to accept me as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I would tell you to really sit down and analyze why you applied to medical school in the first place. Is there something that has driven you towards medicine? Medicine is not an easy road and you'll have to pull from something when the going gets tough. It could be that with such short notice you're feeling a bit of cold feet, but try to pull yourself out of it an look at the decision from an objective position. Place yourself in the shoes of 40 year old you, which decision would you prefer then?

Don't focus on where you'll be for the next 4 years and whether or not the head honchos are nicer, focus on the end goal and what you'd rather be doing for the next 30 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Getting into med school was the one of the happiest days of my life, and that goes true for pretty much everyone I personally know. If your knee jerk reaction immediately after getting accepted is that you don’t want to do it anymore, then it’s probably your subconscious telling you not to do it. Not being a doctor won’t make you any less awesome than you already are. Going down this road is not for everyone, and if you already have another career path that genuinely makes you happy then go for it!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, need in much need of advice here.

So I had applied the cycle of 2021-2022 in which just 5 minutes ago, I have been accepted from the WL into a medical school to fill in their empty seats. However, I had already talked myself of applying to medical school a while back and had actually become more active in applying to programs such as AA programs (anesthesiologist assistant).

Now I'm in a pickle as I'm not sure if I want to take the offer or not?

On one hand, it's medical school, a lifetime opportunity here in which not anyone can get; plus I'm pretty sure this would prevent me from ever being accepted again in the near future if I reject this call.

On other hand, I don't think I want to move to NC for four years as I acclimated to the Midwest; furthermore, most of my drive in attending medical school has long been gone from this whole waiting game as well as me talking myself out of it. And I think I have a good thing going on with the AA programs especially after the fact that I had met with one of the head honchos of the AA programs that I was super interested in; he seem liked he was ready to accept me as soon as possible.
To me it sounds like you coped with your perceived rejection by distancing yourself from your want to go to medical school. I think you'll likely change your mind once it starts and you start your classes and meet your classmates. You're going to be too busy most of the time to have fun so the location of the school doesn't really matter much. Take however much time you need to decide depending on how long the school will give you, but I think withdrawing because you divorced yourself from the process to ease the sting may be a mistake.

Reactions: 2 users
If you have to think about going to medical school, don't do it. The fact you are now not elated should be something you reflect on. It is either a very strong desire to be a physician and serve your patients or not. Medicine is not for everybody. So if something else will make you happy, go for it. No shame in that.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
If you have to think about going to medical school, don't do it. The fact you are now not elated should be something you reflect on. It is either a very strong desire to be a physician and serve your patients or not. Medicine is not for everybody. So if something else will make you happy, go for it. No shame in that.
Thanks for the advice; literally my gut feeling at the moment at the time was 'no thanks' but didn't say that as I realize that this was a lifetime opportunity that I would lose if I rejected it. Really, medical school choice is living rent-free in my head because of its rarity if you know what I mean.

As far as becoming an AA goes, just remember that you're limited when it comes to the states that you can practice in and that you're competing with CNAs in the job market. It's a good field, though, otherwise.

But yeah, don't go to medical school if you have even the smallest inkling that you'd rather do something else. It's a massive, painful investment, and it isn't worth it if your heart isn't entirely set on it.

I assume you got into CUSOM. That's a good DO school.