Should I include an explanation of an LOR situation with my update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_diggity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my primary app I do not have a letter from my most significant medical experience. I started a year ago and it's currently my primary source of income as well. I didn't get a letter from here because it's actually against company policy to write any LORs on official letterhead. I don't understand the reasoning behind the policy, but it is what it is and I have already asked up the chain to see if the policy can be changed or any exceptions made, and the answer is a hard no.

It recently came to my mind that schools might think it's a red flag that I don't have a letter from here. However, it hasn't stopped me from getting 3 interviews already.

In my update letters I was thinking of mentioning that I've been promoted at this job to a position of greater responsibility. Would it also be a good idea to briefly mention the LOR situation as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I do not pay any attention to whether students have LORs from specific experiences or not. Research-oriented schools or MD/PhD programs may want a PI letter for any research experience, but otherwise I would not stress about it.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with @cj_cregg
Most schools want letters from professors and research supervisors but a work supervisor would not be required.
You could include you new job responsibilities in an update email but it's probably too soon for those - wait 2-3 months

Reactions: 1 users