Should I join AMSA ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junee15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a anthropology major hoping to pursue a career in medicine. I plan to go into the post baccalaureate premed program after I graduate. However, the thing I wanted is joining AMSA worth it and necessary when applying to medical schools ? I plan to join anthropology club at my university as well as volunteer at a hospital as extracurricular activities.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a anthropology major hoping to pursue a career in medicine. I plan to go into the post baccalaureate premed program after I graduate. However, the thing I wanted is joining AMSA worth it and necessary when applying to medical schools ? I plan to join anthropology club at my university as well as volunteer at a hospital as extracurricular activities.
No reason as a premed. As a med student some organizations give you free stuff to join ( anatomy atlas, medical dictionary) and that might make it worth it to join for a year. The magazine is good bathroom reading.

Personally I wouldn't. Applying to med schools requires you to stand out from the crowd of pre-meds. I'm sure AMSA chapters varies across universities, but at my school students treated it like something to "check off" on the proverbial "What I need to get into med school" list. I could be wrong, but because "everyone" is in AMSA, it seems to hold little to no weight when adcoms review your app. ONLY join AMSA if you truly believe you will gain an opportunity, like a mission trip or valuable research experience, that you can use to strengthen your resume. Besides that, the only other benefit may be networking, but that can be done without AMSA.

I am also an anthro major. Don't join it. Join Lambda Alpha instead as it would make you more unique. Maybe AAA (I was an officer of their student section for years).