Should I keep going? Help, please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMarie38

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I just transferred from a community college. My current gpa is a 3.22
I had a rough start during my freshman year, but I have bettered my grades since then. I am currently a junior. I haven't had much volunteer experience apart from traveling to Lima, Peru with an organization called Medlife to help the poor. I also have worked part time at an attorney's office for a little over a year and recently started working at a Dementia Memory Care Community. I still have to take a lot of the pre requisites for medical school. I need to complete both organic and inorganic chemistry and physics. The MCAT just recently changed and I don't know if I should wait and take the MCAT during my senior year and take a year off to pay my loans and get more experience. I really feel like giving up now because it is too much pressure with the financial situation plus the timing. Please let me know if you guys have been in my position before. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Do the absolute best you can in all of your classes from here on out. I'm assuming you're taking inorganic next year then Ochem/physics the year after? Nonetheless, your grades from here on out should be your number one priority since they're currently a little low. However, 2 years of great grades can definitely turn that around.

Take the MCAT after you've finished Ochem.

Make sure you keep getting exposure in clinical settings through shadowing and volunteering (I suggest free clinics). Also think about getting some research experience under your belt. But, again, above everything else, get your grades up.