should i keep up my dream?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asian81

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody!!
I'm a newcomer to this forum and i really need your advices. OK this is my situation: i just received my grades and i got C+ in Physio and C+ in cell. Beside these two Cs, i also had a couple Cs in O chem.
My overall GPA right now is about 3.1 and the same for science GPA. I just took DAT last month and i got 21 Academic(o chem 21, gen chem 22, quan reasoning 22, reading 20, bio 20) PAT 21.
So what is my chance in dental field?
Any input will be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Well your grades suck but your DAT scores are above average so you have a reasonable chance.

I don't think these grades will hurt you too bad....your good DAT score and your decent overall GPA will probably give you a chance of getting into a school somewhere (perhaps even several)

If you look, there is a thread that some people have started who have below 3.0 GPAs and have gotten into schools.

I'd say your application looks like this :

GPA 3.1 : a little below average
DAT 21 : a little above average

all you need is some good letter of rec from your science professors and a dentist that you volunteer with and your app is starting to not look too bad! If you believe you can score better on the DAT, perhaps you can increase your chances of getting into schools that you want.

Anyway, I would say your chances of getting into the dental field are pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm preparing to apply right now and from what I've read on this forum applying early is key to maximizing your chances of getting in. Also, I think there are some schools that weigh DAT scores more than GPA. I'm not sure what school these are but they have been mentioned on this forum before. I would definitely apply to those schools if I were you. Good luck!

wassup deeps, i saw from your first post that u got mostly c's on your core sciences. what other sciences did you take to bring your gpa up to a 3.1? as for me, I got mostly B's and A's on the sciences but i was a math major, and i got mostly C's in my math courses....so my science gpa is under 3.0 barely...but your DAT scores seem to stand out so you shouldnt worry.....

Hey asian,

Don't give up your hope. I think your GPA cannot be as sucked as mine. Hehe....

I know plenty of people with worse score than yours getting into UCLA, UCSF, Temple, etc......

I bet that you will get at least 4 dental schools next year this time. (If you have dental experience, and community service). Make sure you apply early and write a good personal statements. If you need any help, feel free to pm me.

Best of luck to you

Hi.....your DAT scores are AWESOME......so I wouldn't be so discouraged by your gpa....which might be a little below average but isn't horrible or anything. Just focus now on the aspects of the admissions process that are in your control......like when u apply, your personal statement and letters of rec. I know that UOP is one of the schools that places a lot of emphasis on DAT scores and not so much on gpa so you should might want to look into applying there.

I got 8 C's, 1 D, and 1 F. Got into 5 schools. You're in man. In 5 years you're gonna be a dentist.
Just to be safe, apply to all the low-end schools as well.

hi
im in the almost the same situation as you. I'm currently preparing for my DATs but I want to know if I do manage do get a 21 or so on the DAT, is there a chance for me? My current gpa is 3.0. I will be applying next spring so i have sometime to bring it up. How did it go for you?

asian81 said:
hi everybody!!
I'm a newcomer to this forum and i really need your advices. OK this is my situation: i just received my grades and i got C+ in Physio and C+ in cell. Beside these two Cs, i also had a couple Cs in O chem.
My overall GPA right now is about 3.1 and the same for science GPA. I just took DAT last month and i got 21 Academic(o chem 21, gen chem 22, quan reasoning 22, reading 20, bio 20) PAT 21.

supergal0886 said:
hi
im in the almost the same situation as you. I'm currently preparing for my DATs but I want to know if I do manage do get a 21 or so on the DAT, is there a chance for me? My current gpa is 3.0. I will be applying next spring so i have sometime to bring it up. How did it go for you?

I'd be surprised if asian81 still reads or posts in the forum. Maybe you should pm him and see what happens. Or use the search fnxn to find the 3.0 club. Some of them got in. Check it out!

asian81 said:
hi everybody!!

Your DAT scores are damn awesome, so pat yourself on the shoulders.

But honestly, your science grades are kind of low. I hate to say that, but I've spoken to adcoms who say that science grades are more important than non-science course grades, or your non-science GPA. Why? Because the courses you will take in dental school are all science courses! It gives them an indication as to how you will suceeed and perform in dental school.

However, please do apply to dental school. You may perhaps get an interview offer, and questions about your science grades will pop up. During the interview, explain why you got C+'s and C's for your Physiology and Cell/Molec Bio courses. Was it because you were having a rough time with family? Boyfriend or girlfriend? Your pet dog passed away?

ArmoredTooth said:
Your DAT scores are damn awesome, so pat yourself on the shoulders.

But honestly, your science grades are kind of low. I hate to say that, but I've spoken to adcoms who say that science grades are more important than non-science course grades, or your non-science GPA. Why? Because the courses you will take in dental school are all science courses! It gives them an indication as to how you will suceeed and perform in dental school.

However, please do apply to dental school. You may perhaps get an interview offer, and questions about your science grades will pop up. During the interview, explain why you got C+'s and C's for your Physiology and Cell/Molec Bio courses. Was it because you were having a rough time with family? Boyfriend or girlfriend? Your pet dog passed away?

lol. :laugh: