Should I leave fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FolieADeux

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It may effect your ability to land another fellowship in the future. You’ll definitely burn bridges at your institution. Otherwise you are a BE psychiatrist so jobs are everywhere.

Does your schedule change in future months? Initially I disliked child fellowship. I saw what the PGY-4 general residents were doing and thought I was stupid for signing up for extra work. That feeling passed, and I ended up enjoying it.

Knowing that you can bail at any time, I’d stick it out a bit longer. Start looking at the job market. If you still hate it, pull the chute.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks @TexasPhysician - my schedule does change in a bit and so I'll wait it out for now (and peruse jobs in the meantime.)

If I do end up leaving I'm still a bit worried about potential issues with licensing down the line if one doesn't finish a program if anyone has thoughts or experience with this.

I guess the moral of the story is to really try and figure out a vision for your career if you can, do your due diligence, and don't do a fellowship unless you really need to (or really really want to!)
Its a sub-specialty. It shouldn't affect your licensure. You presumably already have an unrestricted license if you were planning to moonlight. You're fine. The board may ask, and your answer is, I realized it was not what I wanted long-term. The end. You are leaving by choice, you aren't being fired.

I agree with waiting it out a bit longer to see if different schedules change things. If you do decide to leave, I would strongly recommend talking and being upfront with your PD. Its a sucky situation, but having them even slightly on your side for the sake of the letter would be helpful.

Another option that is actually there in some fellowships is that you could talk to the PD about your concerns (not having enough general psych) and see if there is anything they could work out for you or if they could be flexible with the curriculum in any way so that you could spend time in general adult clinic, have a leave, have a lighter schedule for a bit, etc. Fellowships have requirements, but PDs can be much more flexible with how they are implemented. Its in their interest to keep you there if they can, and that could mean making you happy so they can list you as another grad. They know you have other options, and that unlike residency, you can peace out if you don't like it.

Reactions: 1 users