Should I let my RN license expire in Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is kind of a conundrum, but I'm not sure on the legalities of maintaining my RN license as a medical student. Being a nurse is a major part of who I am, I worked hard for my license and don't like the thought of letting it expire.

However, and I know it's different for NP's as they have to keep up their nursing licensure, but once you become an NP, I believe that there are legalities in regards to practicing as an RN in reference to scope of practice and I'm not sure how those legalities will effect me. I believe medical students work under the license of their attending, as I was under the license of my instructor in nursing school.

Should I renew my license or should I let it expire? I would like to keep it active out of principle, but do not want to have anything fall back onto me as a medical student in case something were to happen with a patient. Recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Following.
In this situation too. Would like to know what's best
I was thinking of 2 scenarios (if I end up staying in my home state): Keep my NP license and pick up few hrs when I can OR give up my NP license, keep my RN for 1 extra year and pick up few easy shifts here and there until it expires.

I don’t think you’ll get a lot of info here as most of us don’t have knowledge about that specifically and should probably talk to someone at your school. I don’t think anything would happen if you’re acting within your roll in the hospital as a medical student and don’t offer any nursing support.

As for the second poster, check with your school. Some schools have policies where their students aren’t allowed to work in clinical settings during school (know this from a few paramedics -> doc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Check individual rules in your school/state. I will say this: if you are going to let it go, go through the OFFICIAL “suspension” process with the BON, do *not* just stop doing CEU/renewing. Some places may place in a delinquent status and you do *not* want a professional license in a delinquent state when trying to apply for your medical license.

Check your state’s practice act, or call up the BON!

Reactions: 5 users
If you are concerned about the legal risk of this, I would suggest calling legal at your hospital. They will give you the best information, and they have a vested interest in protecting you from liability. After all, if you are named in a suit, the hospital/med school's malpractice insurance will pay for your representation.

As has been mentioned before, discussions of professional ramifications from letting the license expire are best directed to the Board of Nursing.

Personally, I think that it is silly to maintain a license you won't utilize on "principle."

Also, it probably goes without saying that you should probably not represent yourself as a nurse in your role as a med student. That would invite all sorts of trouble, potentially including the legal issues you're worried about. In addition, the nurses at your hospital will probably get frustrated by the confusion this would create.

Reactions: 1 users
I would keep it renewed if I were you. You put in the time, money and energy to obtain it. I am not insinuating anything by this, but you do not know what the future holds. I think an intelligent thing would be to contact the Legal team at the hospital you work at. I wish you the best.

Thank you for the solid advice everyone! I will definitely clarify with the BON on this.

So this is kind of a conundrum, but I'm not sure on the legalities of maintaining my RN license as a medical student. Being a nurse is a major part of who I am, I worked hard for my license and don't like the thought of letting it expire.

However, and I know it's different for NP's as they have to keep up their nursing licensure, but once you become an NP, I believe that there are legalities in regards to practicing as an RN in reference to scope of practice and I'm not sure how those legalities will effect me. I believe medical students work under the license of their attending, as I was under the license of my instructor in nursing school.

Should I renew my license or should I let it expire? I would like to keep it active out of principle, but do not want to have anything fall back onto me as a medical student in case something were to happen with a patient. Recommendations?
I placed all my nursing licenses inactive/retired once I entered medical school. You are operating in an entirely new role as medical student and are covered by your school for that, has nothing to do with your nursing license.

Retired is best status because you can just do the CME to get it back upto date if you want to/have to come back, plus you don't have to keep paying fees. I did not work as nurse during medical school, and I don't think it would even be practical at most schools.

I had an LPN license and I put it on inactive once renewal came up in med school. As mentioned, you don't want to let it become delinquent or anything like that.

Good point, I have NP license and work in a family medicine clinic. My doctor wants me to work part time, 4-8 hours/week mostly on Saturday, and I am debating that. I really want to continue working a bit, but I definitely have to be careful due to role conflict.

My doctor wants me to work part time, 4-8 hours/week mostly on Saturday, and I am debating that
I would advise against that personally, med school is enough on its own

I would retire it. It adds nothing to your practice and you would have to keep up on it during med school.

I still work PRN in the ED on breaks and what not so I have kept my RN active, but I plan on retiring my license when I start residency. Keeping up with all of the certs for my hospital has been fun, so if you aren't going to use it while in school I would go ahead and retire it.

No way I would put in the energy to maintain a RN. That's like a CNA maintaining their certificate while in a RN program. You wont use that again.