About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Should I Major in Kinesiology or not?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by jeremmed77, Oct 28, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. jeremmed77

jeremmed77

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Are there any disadvantages to majoring in Kinesiology versus my current Physiology major? My Physiology major seems to require a lot more difficult courses such as calculus based physics, advanced organic chemistry, etc... Some of the classes I have no interest in taking. The ones I do not want to take also seem to be some of the harder ones, so that is why I am considering changing my major.
    Does it really matter what you major in as long as you take all of the prerequisites?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. Lunasly

Lunasly

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am in the same position as you in choosing a major. I have greatly considered a major in Kinesiology and really the bottom line is you have to choose what you enjoy and are best at. I think I might like Kinesiology so I might major in it myself, but I wouldnt pick a major because it is easier. By taking something you enjoy and is challengeing at the same time I think will better prepare you for what is ahead.

Then again I am just a freshman but I am just basing my post on what others have told me.

Good luck :)
  3. MichaelRW

MichaelRW

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    1. major in what you will enjoy the most
    2. but also something that youre not going to fail out in

it doesnt matter what you major in
  4. Wesco

Wesco

Pre-Medical
    You're still gonna need to take calculus, Ochem, and other "hard sciences" as pre-req if you plan on going to med school.
  5. princessBP

princessBP

Pre-Medical
    I was a kinesiology major (health promotions and fitness) and I REALLY enjoyed it. Take exercise phys and biomechanics is really interesting and very useful. In labs you get to work directly with human subjects with is awesome. I also had a lot of people ask me about it at interviews and they seemed really interested in it

so if you are interested in it then go for it! It won't hurt you....just do well in your pre-reqs!
  6. AH3

AH3

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    +1

GPA is very important. A bio or chem major may look a little better to an adcom (more challenging classes), but a 4.0 certainly looks much better than a 3.0.
  7. DucoNonducor

DucoNonducor

Pre-Medical
    Buy the MSAR so that you know exactly what you need to take for several schools that might draw your interest. Make sure you do something that you like whether Kinesiology or anything else out there.
  8. mac_kin

mac_kin Senior Member

Post Doc
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    ]
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011