Should I mention that I received training to be a medical scribe, but never ended up working as one due to COVID?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5gumchewer

Reaction score
I'm thinking of my application for the upcoming cycle.

In Summer 2021, I went through the Scribe101 process up to working 2 weeks at a Family Medicine hospital for the last parts of training (so in total, about 90 hours). They decided after that that they couldn't keep me on, I think due to COVID regulations but also possibly due to finances (the hospital went under this past summer). I don't think it was due to my job performance, because after the first week, I didn't even have to stay late to finish up charts.

I'm wondering if this is worth putting on my application, and am most interested in knowing if there's a chance this could hurt me. They never gave an official reason for the termination of my job, so all I can really say is that I scribed for 2 weeks and then that was it. Is there a way in which that doesn't look good?

On the other hand, it was a great experience to me. I always wondered how doctors balanced the need to see multiple patients throughout the day with taking the time to learn everything that was needed. The doctor I scribed showed me how it's done. She was amazing at directing the conversation well to have a concise but thorough balance of everything relevant to their chief complaints, so if this isn't something that would hurt me, I'd like to write about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Since this wasn't an experience that played a big part in your preparation to apply to medical school, you may leave it off your activity list.
Keep looking for other experiences that will build up for you.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm thinking of my application for the upcoming cycle.

In Summer 2021, I went through the Scribe101 process up to working 2 weeks at a Family Medicine hospital for the last parts of training (so in total, about 90 hours). They decided after that that they couldn't keep me on, I think due to COVID regulations but also possibly due to finances (the hospital went under this past summer). I don't think it was due to my job performance, because after the first week, I didn't even have to stay late to finish up charts.

I'm wondering if this is worth putting on my application, and am most interested in knowing if there's a chance this could hurt me. They never gave an official reason for the termination of my job, so all I can really say is that I scribed for 2 weeks and then that was it. Is there a way in which that doesn't look good?

On the other hand, it was a great experience to me. I always wondered how doctors balanced the need to see multiple patients throughout the day with taking the time to learn everything that was needed. The doctor I scribed showed me how it's done. She was amazing at directing the conversation well to have a concise but thorough balance of everything relevant to their chief complaints, so if this isn't something that would hurt me, I'd like to write about it.
I don't think it will "hurt" you to include it on your Activities list ("Other" would be a suitable tag for a training gig that's not on your transcript or maybe grouped into a Short-Term "Employment" space if you were paid), or you can alternatively work it into your Personal Statement or save it for a suitable Secondary prompt.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)