Should I not include this on my work/activity? due to sketchy feelings and low hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShakaChaka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From December 2011 - June 2013 I did research in a mouse lab. I got super conservative 66 hours, but I deleted a whole years worth of hours that I did, so it could be more than 80 hours.... but I want to be conservative because I don't want my professor that I have sorta bad relations with to tell the adcomms otherwise...

I abruptly left this lab just saying peace because the people there were not appreciative and rude and because I found a better lab to be a part of.

March 2013 - June 2014 I joined an ecology lab and accured 1080 hours. I co-authored a paper that is currently in review.

Based on my negative relationship with the first professor, there is a slight chance he will try to screw me over and say that I did not get 66 hours in his lab.... hmmm. I'm sure he believes in integrity, but he might just not like me and try to not let me get into medical schools by telling them I did not work in his lab or did not get 66 hours when they corroborate my work/activity page....

Should I not mention the other lab I was in because of sketchy feelings and low hours?

Members don't see this ad.

wait do you mean 660 hours...? 1.5 years and only 80 hours? you only worked 20 hours for a whole year?

Reactions: 1 user
you're correct, only 66-80hours....

hmm i volunteered at a childrens hospital from 2011-2015 only got about 120 hours... this might be bad too..

O well, Hopefully, my personal statement, my letters, and my insane upward gpa trend(.98 -> 3.7) and my below average mcat score29 will save me for at least D.O. schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
How on Earth would your PI know which schools you applied to and members of those ADCOM's?

You don't have to write an essay on it to list it.

adcom might call or emails my pi to verify that what I claimed on works activity is correct.

adcom might call or emails my pi to verify that what I claimed on works activity is correct.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is part of the verification process and I doubt any school has time to be doing it...

Haha I highly doubt they will spend their time verifying activities like that seem completely average. Maybe if you said you did research for 500 hours in a lab across the country over the course of 1 semester while studying for the mcat and taking a full course load.

What about in terms of the weak hours? Should I just leave this out?. I also have an institutional action for plagiarizing my freshman year, so they might check.

Wait what----you want to ask for a recommendation from someone you are on bad terms with and did the equivalent of 1.5 full days of work for?

Oo, I apologize for the vagueness. When I mean check, I mean that, assuming I get interviewed or post interviewed, the adcoms from each medical school will email my professor to verify that I did do research with him and the hours I filled in were correct.

Oo, I apologize for the vagueness. When I mean check, I mean that, assuming I get interviewed or post interviewed, the adcoms from each medical school will email my professor to verify that I did do research with him and the hours I filled in were correct.
Doubtful to happen, and even more doubtful that they'd bother to verify an entry which is neither over-the-top nor even particularly helpful.

The bigger question you should be asking is "does 60ish hours of research on a topic I did not get interested in, spread over a very long time period, with little accomplishment help my application in any way, or would it simply be space-filler?"

Given that you have another, better, research position, I can't say I'd consider the other to be worth a slot, if I were you.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with mehc012. I just wouldn't list it. It's not going to add anything to your app and it sounds like you have a much better experience to replace it with.

Dude that plagiarism IA is going to hurt

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about the plagiarism charge.