Physical Therapy Should I pursue a career in Physical Therapy or become a Physician Assistant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about life after college for awhile now, and It's starting to stress me out more day by day. A little about myself: I am currently a senior majoring in exercise science with a focus in kinesiology. My overall GPA as of now is a 3.18, but it'll increase next semester. My GPA is so low because I've been working full-time, interning, and going to school full-time for the past 2 years. I've been working as a medical scribe with hospitalist doctors (MDs/DOs), physician assistants, and nurse practitioners during that time.

I've been leaning towards the medical field for a while now. By building relationships with the doctors, I already have 2 doctors that are willing to write recommendation letters for me in the future. I'm just having a hard time deciding if I should continue the PA (Physician Assistant) route with my low GPA?

Both are different in many aspects.

PAs may prescribe therapy, but the therapy itself is carried out by PTs. PA is medical based whereas PT is therapy based. PAs prescribe medication, treat people with a variety of diseases/conditions medically. PTs treat people with a variety of conditions with therapy.

You're the only one here who can decide that. No one here can even speculate based on the info provided. Can you provide more information?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure! I've been in school preparing for PT/OT school, but I'm really leaning towards the PA route. I'm wondering if I should even consider PA school with my GPA.

By more information I mean can you state why you are leaning toward one over the other? What was your initial draw to PT/OT? What changed?

The GPA will be an issue as well as limited experience. While you meet the minimum 3.0+ requirement for many/most of the programs, it's still on the lower side, so that needs to go up - The average is about a 3.4 I believe with the more well-established programs individually having an average of about 3.6. The experience is also lacking. While there are plenty of experiences that count - both type and duration are looked at. Yours appears to be from scribing and shadowing only unless there is more that is unmentioned. Most programs seem to have a minimum of 500 hours (some lower, some higher), but again these are minimums. You'll be competing against people who have been RNs, paramedics, military medics or Corpsman for years with 3.5+ GPAs.

GPA needs to come up a bit, and I'd add in, if possible, more diversity in your clinical experience (i.e. EMT, tech if possible - or at least increase the scribing hours as opposed to the shadowing hours). I've seen some places that have caps on how many hours they take as experience from shadowing as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I chose something to go with my freshman year of college. They were explaining the different fields that I could possibly pursue with my degree, and physical therapy was the top choice for most. My mind started to change when I did my observation hours with a physical therapist. It was just something I didn't want to do anymore.

I ended up getting a medical scribe position, and I absolutely loved it. Working along a physician's side has been a rewarding experience for me. I never really considered the medical field until one of my doctors had a conversation with me and saw that I had potential due to me knowing so much without attending PA/medical school. I've decided to retake a few of my classes to boost my GPA, and I still have to take a few pre-reqs. Hopefully, my GPA will be able to reach the average.

Also, I have been looking into EMT programs.

Thank you for your advice! :)

I think you already answered your own question right there! Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of PA students had time out of school as many are career changers of some sort (be it complete different field, worked as a nurse, was in the military, etc). A relative few go straight to PA school out of college, and many of that group are often associated with a combined program or linkage/direct admit and/or are matriculating into the PA program associated with their undergrad. So you have time, and don't feel rushed. Get that experience while you take a few classes here and there to get the GPA up and you'll increase your chances significantly. I know not every program requires the GRE, but some still do I believe, so consider studying for that and when you'd be able to take it to increase the places to which you can apply!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.