Should I pursue in pharmacy or go to computer engineering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steven12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.

I've recently been accepted to University of Illinois at Chicago's Guaranteed Professions Program Admissions for pharmacy (GPPA Pharmacy) which guarantees a seat in pharmacy school after 4 years of undergraduate as long as I maintain a 3.5+ gpa. UIC is also #6 in the nation for pharmacy school so that's pretty cool as well. UIC is charging me around ~7-8k per year in undergrad and ~22k each year for pharmacy

I've also been accepted to University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign for their computer engineering program. They are also ranked #5 in the nation for CE. They are charging me 20~30k per year.

Now I know I'm pretty stupid for applying to two different schools with two different majors. Ugh, I wish I knew what I wanted to become before applying to colleges + majors.

I need help deciding between the two majors/schools so please give me honest feedback.

I first applied to pharmacy because my parents urged me to. Like any other asian parents, they want you to go into healthcare. They talk about how stable and well paying pharmacists are -- which is true. Bio and Chem aren't my absolute disgust, but I'm rather indifferent about the subjects. Pharmacy (especially retail) seems really boring to me.. I have this image that I'm stuck in a 20ft x 20ft box with shelves of medicine for the rest of my work life. In addition, I heard the pharmacy market are oversaturated and it is hard to land a job.. The only reasons why I am even considering this is because of the job security and pay.

Now I applied to Computer Engineering because I love the way technology is advancing. I want to strive to work in a startup company (or a top company like Google). It seems really fun being with co-workers who are working on projects together. Just looking at Google, Facebook, SnapChat, etc etc's headquarters looks like a comfortable job. (Don't get me wrong work is work I get it, but the environment seems a lot more vivid). However, many people are telling me computer engineering is harder (if not, just as hard as pharmacists) since you are pretty much dealing with logics, algorithms, etc. Another thing is that people are more susceptible to layoffs because any grads can easily replace you if you don't keep up. Pharmacy isn't as hard to replace since the information is more static than keeping up with tech.

Now which do you think is better for me? I am definitely trying to have a social life AND become wealthy!

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone needs a coder. Go with comp engineering. It gives you a lot more flexibility than being a pharmacist. If I had a do over, I'd take that in a heart beat.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like you already know the answer. But here are the 2 options.

1. Dont do pharmacy if you dont want to be stuck standing in a small box with shelves of medicine for the rest of your work life.

2. Dont do CE if you dont want to be stuck sitting in a chair staring at a computer for the rest of your work life.

Ask yourself would you rather stand or sit at work?

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reasons why I am even considering this is because of the job security and pay.

You won't get any better job security and pay with pharmacy, now that the market is completely saturated and tuition continues to go up which will cause student loans to eat up a huge chunk of your take-home pay. You might actually earn LESS as a pharmacist over your lifetime when you take into account student loans and 4-5 years of lost earnings opportunity cost. The job market is actually far better for software engineers right now. You can get laid off and have recruiters hound you as you walk out the door. On the other hand, you will most likely have to scrape for hours with several part time or per diem jobs by the time you graduate.

Another thing is that people are more susceptible to layoffs because any grads can easily replace you if you don't keep up.

Same with pharmacy, except "keeping up" usually means trying to meet metrics in chain retail during a time when staffing is getting cut and expectations continue to rise.

Now which do you think is better for me? I am definitely trying to have a social life AND become wealthy!

You should not just walk, but RUN toward computer engineering. Pharmacy has all the pitfalls you mentioned with computer engineering, except add on $150k+ loans and 4 years of lost earning potential. Software engineers are coddled compared to those in other professions, and especially pharmacists in chain retail (no lunch breaks, trying to keep up with corporate metrics, yelling and screaming customers, etc).

Last edited:
For me, I went to school during the dot.com era meaning everyone wanted a computer science degree. I went to college having passed some AP exams and entering college thinking I was a big shot and tried to double major in the sciences and computer science/engineering. After my sophomore year and seeing my grades in computer science/engineering being B's and C's and science courses being A's, I decided based on grades to go to pharmacy school. I think you should go into a program that allows you to double major and try both classes. See your grades and decide what works best for you. Also, do some programming/engineering summer internships and also work at a pharmacy in the summer and decide. I remember how frustrating it was as a freshmen with all the options but after you take courses and work in the fields, you will know.

Computer engineering. You seem interested, and it will be more masculine and interesting

Pharmacy is de facto low status unless you get a unicorn job. The job market is bad and will remain so. "Everyone" thinks it is easy and job security - well they are fools; there is no such thing as a free lunch. They all rushed it and now many will not find jobs, and there will be downward pressure on salaries. Simple law of supply and demand.

As with investing, to win at the market you must beat the herd

Last edited:
If I had known what I know now I would have majored in computer engineering and moved to San Francisco. Probably would be a millionaire right now.

Reactions: 1 user