Should I quit my job more than six months prior to starting med school in 2022?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trilbrus7

Reaction score
I've been an full-time ER scribe since April 2019, and took on the position of co-head scribe in August. However, the other co head (also very new to the position) and I inherited a lot of problems from previous leadership that have been quite stressful to deal with, and quite frankly, the job itself is no longer enjoyable. I've had to cut out extracurriculars to help with shift coverage, and dealing with staffing issues and people leaving without warning. I have a few acceptances, and am trying to apply for scholarships, which is time-consuming. I had initially planned to work until April/ May 2021, but work has been draining me and taking up so much of my life it's unhealthy. Am I able to quit my job in a month, and have more time to myself? I'm fortunate enough to have financial support from family until I start school, so that's not the worry. I'm afraid that I'd have to explain it to schools in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You will not have to explain it your other schools in the future. You have acceptances. The game is over. Be happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been an full-time ER scribe since April 2019, and took on the position of co-head scribe in August. However, the other co head (also very new to the position) and I inherited a lot of problems from previous leadership that have been quite stressful to deal with, and quite frankly, the job itself is no longer enjoyable. I've had to cut out extracurriculars to help with shift coverage, and dealing with staffing issues and people leaving without warning. I have a few acceptances, and am trying to apply for scholarships, which is time-consuming. I had initially planned to work until April/ May 2021, but work has been draining me and taking up so much of my life it's unhealthy. Am I able to quit my job in a month, and have more time to myself? I'm fortunate enough to have financial support from family until I start school, so that's not the worry. I'm afraid that I'd have to explain it to schools in the future.
You will not have to explain it your other schools in the future. You have acceptances. The game is over. Be happy.

Quit now and enjoy your vacation
OP I have a similar scenario and am wondering the same. One of the schools I received an A from specifically said to "notify them immediately of any employment changes before matriculation." I'm planning an exit from my current employer to, like you, enjoy more fully my time before matriculation. However I'm not sure exactly what my obligations are when considering the quote from said school.

only reason to stay with work is for income. Quitting wont affect your matriculation

Stay if:

1) The money is better than the headache.
2) You think you will get some really good managerial experience from dealing with these issues.

Leave if:

1) The headache isn't worth the money you are being paid.
2) You just wanna chill for the summer.

Overall life is your oyster, schools don't have to know and frankly have no interest if you quit now versus spring.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

YES QUIT NOW. YOU SHOULD QUIT ASAP. You will never have the chance again.
OMS1 right now. THE INFO OVERLOAD BEGINS.

No amount of paultry job money is worth wasting these precious 6 months

Yes. This is the first honeymoon period you’ll have in this career. Enjoy it.

Second one is towards the end of 4th year of med school and the few weeks between graduation and residency.

The last one is the period between your residency/fellowship and first job.

QUIT since you don't need the money. In med school budget wisely and plan accordingly. Some schools give you more money in earlier semesters and expect you to save 10-20% for future semesters (mine does this we have an extra semester that gets a smaller budget). So also don't blow your student loans all on alcohol and partying (budget $50/week). This way you won't end up delivering pizzas for $15/hr in your free time (I've scrubbed toilets and what not but as a medical student/future doctor I will not go back to such jobs).