should I quit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nova2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just been accepted to Nova, but I am now in graduate school. I have considered quitting, but am afraid to. Could they revoke my admission? I have met all the necessary requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

nova2010 said:
I have just been accepted to Nova, but I am now in graduate school. I have considered quitting, but am afraid to. Could they revoke my admission? I have met all the necessary requirements.

Are you in the middle of your Masters? Or going to complete it soon?

I have a friend in the same position as you, doing his Masters, and got accepted to Med. school. However, he's going to complete it this summer, because its courtesy, and it's also nice to have MSc. He feels bad for the professor because if he quits, there goes all that funding that he got for you, and it also holds out the professor on other funding he could've gotten for having a MSc. succesfully completed. I think of it as a commitment you made to the professor.

I would tough it out and complete it by the summer (if that's when you have your thesis defense). Also you should check with NOVA to see what they would do. IF they don't do anything, I would still stick with it. Having an MSc. is nice

Are you asking if you should continue working on your masters while you are in optometry school? I can't imagine. When I was down there, I asked about the possibilities of going to school and having a (very) part-time job. Everyone looked at me as if I had three eyes (I don't think it's a very common condition ;) ) However, they didn't say I couldn't, and I plan on something limited. Basically, they want you to make sure that you are focused on your studies in optometry school. They worry about students jeopardizing their success in optometry. After all, it is an expensive education. Nonetheless, if you can do both successfully (and you can't miss classes so you can never use your masters as an excuse), then they won't revoke your acceptance. BTW You did tell them you were working on it, right? I am lucky as I will complete my masters in two weeks. I would not have applied if I thought that it was not going to be done in time, so I am assuming that you proceeded the same way? If not, other options might be to delay completing your degree or declining the space. As a reapplicant (having been accepted twice to Nova) I can tell you for certain that if you decide to defer that you have an "almost" guaranteed chance of reacceptance....