Should I reach out to programs before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toofastdan

I like libraries
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm planning on applying during the 2021-2022 application cycle. I have a rough school list of ~25 schools with ~10 schools that I am very passionate about. Should I reach out to programs before applying? I thought about contacting current students for opinions on their programs and maybe contacting program directors if I have questions about the application process. Also, should I contact PIs before applying? I know this is important for PhD admissions, but I'm not sure for MD/PhD. I have a list of a some PIs whose work really fascinates me and getting to discuss research fit before applying might help.

Thanks for the thought!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there,

I'm planning on applying during the 2021-2022 application cycle. I have a rough school list of ~25 schools with ~10 schools that I am very passionate about. Should I reach out to programs before applying? I thought about contacting current students for opinions on their programs and maybe contacting program directors if I have questions about the application process. Also, should I contact PIs before applying? I know this is important for PhD admissions, but I'm not sure for MD/PhD. I have a list of a some PIs whose work really fascinates me and getting to discuss research fit before applying might help.

Thanks for the thought!
Contacting people before you apply is annoying. Just apply. If you're strong enough to get an interview, you can ask all the questions you want then (trust me, you'll want to have questions). Just my 2cents

Reactions: 9 users