Should I really become a doctor?

thatboygaule

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, so I'm not exactly sure how the site works but I hope this is the right place. I'm currently taking a year out from school and it has always been my objective to study medicine at university. I have to repeat an admissions test for medicine here in Ireland called the HPAT as I was 6 points short of the entry requirements. As a result, I have had a lot of time to research and to talk to doctors the last few months and seem to be at a crossroads. I have wanted to be a surgeon since I was 7/8 and think I will regret it if I don't. However, the general consensus among family members who are doctors and friends of the family, is that it is not all its made out to be. From the long extremely challenging hours to the salary - It's just not what it used to be and it's spiralling out of control. Of course there is the other highly rewarding side and also the fact that I will be doing something I think I'd love.

However, I have a passion for all disciplines of science and so feel there are other options. I really like biochemistry and pharmacology and could maybe go for a career in these fields. I also love money, I mean who doesn't, but many doctors I have spoken to would advise me to go into finance. It's what they wish they'd have done. It interests me but I never studied business or economics at high school so I'm not sure if I'd like it. I can see an easier life, probably with more money, but I think I'd feel I wasted my life to build a material world and not dedicate to improving thousands of people's lives.

What do you guys think? All advice is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My heart tells me if I don't do it I'll regret it for life. I've never shadowed physicians but I did witness a live surgery once!

Have you shadowed physicians?
This. Ask your doctor family and friends to find the meanest surgeon with the busiest schedule they can think of who is willing to take along an observer and then shadow that person for one month, preferably on nights or on a rotating shift schedule. Your can find 2 or 3 to switch between, but your goal is to prevent yourself from seeing the light of day for one month. Try to do as much as that surgeon will allow. You'll be amazed at how much medical scut work can be found for you. If this does not deter you from medicine then it may be a good idea to go ahead with your plan.

Medicine is not a sprint, it's a marathon, and it's not always as bad as what I'm suggesting, but sometimes it's worse. It's impossible to simulate the 4th month of a difficult inpatient rotation or being alone with an overwhelming schedule or getting surprised at the end of a 27 hour shift with an emergency operation/delivery/whatever. So my default answer to anyone who asks is no, you should not become a doctor. Alternatively, prove to yourself that you want to be a doctor in today's medical environment before you throw your life away.

I've never shadowed physicians but I did witness a live surgery once!
Was it the Nat'l geo live brain surgery earlier this year by chance? Dat was awsum

Yeah you need to shadow.

Pilot? I've never really thought of being a pilot as a calling. I had a childhood fascination with planes and had a huge poster of a Cessna cockpit on my wall growing up. But, alas, it turns out I suffer from pretty severe motion sickness. All that said, I always thought of being a pilot as a job and less of a calling.

OP, go for it. If you don't like it, there is other work that a medical degree can be used for. If you don't graduate med school, you'll be ok too. There are lots of jobs in health care and you'll have a leg up. Sounds like you have a pretty solid science background.

Medicine is a calling, like being a priest or a pilot.

What does your heart tell you???

I take it you've never talked to a real, live pilot?

Pilot? I've never really thought of being a pilot as a calling. I had a childhood fascination with planes and had a huge poster of a Cessna cockpit on my wall growing up. But, alas, it turns out I suffer from pretty severe motion sickness. All that said, I always thought of being a pilot as a job and less of a calling. .

One of my close friends from elementary school flies for Emirates. He works something like 10-12 days per month for 200k as a first officer. He dreamed of making a lot of money as a captain at Emirates since we were kids (he's on his way). He had a lot of passion for money and lifestyle and was kind of interested in planes. Never talked about a calling. Granted, most people tried to tell him it was impossible because he got his start around the same time 9/11 happened and he pushed on. I don't really know any other pilots.

I take it you've never talked to a real, live pilot?

Last edited:
OP, go for it. If you don't like it, there is other work that a medical degree can be used for...

There are (usually offshore grads) who didn't get residencies driving cabs and waiting tables, so the opportunities are probably not so limitless.

This is not a career in which you should just "go for it" and expect to figure out things later. It's a very long stretch of highway, longer than most fields, with few good off ramps.

Reactions: 1 user
I was referring specifically to work in Ireland. We struggled to find Irish educated MDs for the office of the company I used to work for. If you know anyone that graduated and is licensed in Ireland, I can help them land a gig in pharma.

Ofcourse, market may change in six yrs. but prospects for Irish MDs are currently great in pharma.

There are (usually offshore grads) who didn't get residencies driving cabs and waiting tables, so the opportunities are probably not so limitless.

This is not a career in which you should just "go for it" and expect to figure out things later. It's a very long stretch of highway, longer than most fields, with few good off ramps.

Hi all,

I'm new here, so I'm not exactly sure how the site works but I hope this is the right place. I'm currently taking a year out from school and it has always been my objective to study medicine at university. I have to repeat an admissions test for medicine here in Ireland called the HPAT as I was 6 points short of the entry requirements. As a result, I have had a lot of time to research and to talk to doctors the last few months and seem to be at a crossroads. I have wanted to be a surgeon since I was 7/8 and think I will regret it if I don't. However, the general consensus among family members who are doctors and friends of the family, is that it is not all its made out to be. From the long extremely challenging hours to the salary - It's just not what it used to be and it's spiralling out of control. Of course there is the other highly rewarding side and also the fact that I will be doing something I think I'd love.

However, I have a passion for all disciplines of science and so feel there are other options. I really like biochemistry and pharmacology and could maybe go for a career in these fields. I also love money, I mean who doesn't, but many doctors I have spoken to would advise me to go into finance. It's what they wish they'd have done. It interests me but I never studied business or economics at high school so I'm not sure if I'd like it. I can see an easier life, probably with more money, but I think I'd feel I wasted my life to build a material world and not dedicate to improving thousands of people's lives.

What do you guys think? All advice is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Coming from someone who's in medical school who has to grind it out every day, If it's not your passion and your calling pick something else. You can make a lot more money doing something a lot easier. Also, this is definitely not something to get into for the money; PERIOD. You honestly don't sound like your heart is really into it. Pick another career and don't waste your time. Most medical school's (especially mine) will see right through it.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people go to med school say this isn't for me and become something totally different in life....and successful. No one can decide for you.