Should I really take another science class for an LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moop

1K Member
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have one good science prof and an excellent non-science prof (thesis advisor) LOR. Other LORs from PI (who is an MD), work/internship supervisor, and science education organization director.

I do not know another science prof well. Do I really NEED another one of these? I did not get to know any other one of them well, and I'm not going to take a science class to just get to know one well. Do I opt for a generic letter or take another science class?

Aiming for research-heavy schools. 3.7-3.8/37, very unique ECs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hate to answer this for you. What does your gut tell you? If the schools ask for 2 science profs and you have 1 science prof and …. a whole bunch of others that aren't science. Seems pretty clear especially since you'd like to go to research-heavy schools.

I hate to answer this for you. What does your gut tell you? If the schools ask for 2 science profs and you have 1 science prof and …. a whole bunch of others that aren't science. Seems pretty clear especially since you'd like to go to research-heavy schools.
Oops sorry I meant do I go for a generic letter or take another class to get a better one? I know it's not a good idea to just drop it all together.

Members don't see this ad :)
This answer depends on when you plan to apply. Do you even have time for another class?

This answer depends on when you plan to apply. Do you even have time for another class?
Yeah this is for the cycle after the upcoming one. I wouldn't want to take another science class just because if I can get by with a generic letter if the other stronger LORs are sufficient, though

So you plan to apply in 2015. I assume you just took your MCAT because you have to be mindful of when that expires.

If it were me, I'd take another class just for the science LoR, but I say that mostly because I don't how you'd get a generic letter. What is that? Something from a science prof who never really got to know you? I still go with one who knew you. After all, they are an important part of this process and generic is meh.

So you plan to apply in 2015. I assume you just took your MCAT because you have to be mindful of when that expires.

If it were me, I'd take another class just for the science LoR, but I say that mostly because I don't how you'd get a generic letter. What is that? Something from a science prof who never really got to know you? I still go with one who knew you. After all, they are an important part of this process and generic is meh.
Yeah I would just go with one who knows me, but not super well. I tutor for his class and keep in contact with him every year when tutoring things happen and occasionally ask him for tips on teaching and stuff, but he's straight up in chem and thus not much overlap in interests for me to really "know" him better.

Do you have a Math Professor you've impressed? Isn't Math the purest science?
Do stats/finance people count? Because yeah, I have many quant geeks to pick from, but I didn't know that could count as a "science LOR." Do people do that normally?