Should I reschedule my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpsuedonym

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so two questions.

1. I have an interview at Columbia on Nov. 14 (!!!!! Just got the invite today!), and I have an interview at NYU on Oct. 24. Should I move the NYU interview closer to the Columbia interview so that I don't have to fly out twice (I live in LA)? Would doing this affect my chances at NYU or does it really not matter?

2. Columbia told me the first day they have open is Nov. 7 but I chose the 14th because I figured I shouldn't miss my brother's birthday, and since I plan to stay in NYC for at least a week or so, I thought after his birthday would be okay. And I know I sound paranoid, but it doesn't make a difference, right?

Members don't see this ad.

You are in a situation I have been pondering as well lol. Hopefully Columbia e-mails me with an interview and I can read this thread for the right answers. You can save so much money by traveling there once but then again rescheduling is a delicate issue. However I have a feeling NYU will know that you are rescheduling to November because of Columbia but who knows. I personally know which school I would rather go to, so I think you need to figure that out and decide if its worth rescheduling or not.

first congratulation on the interview invite. i also got one today. my question is how did you schedule it? i sent an email and have been calling the office all day but all I got was the "sorry i've missed your call" message. it is quite frustrating actually.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them this morning to schedule, but you can email them too. The email address is in your interview invite. They haven't sent me a confirmation email even though they said they would by the end of the day, so it seems like they must be very busy today.

That's what I did. I called up NYU and they were very helpful, and now I have NYU and Pitt on the same weekend. You could probably change to the Thursday before, or the Monday after, those days are probably not full.

You are in a situation I have been pondering as well lol. Hopefully Columbia e-mails me with an interview and I can read this thread for the right answers. You can save so much money by traveling there once but then again rescheduling is a delicate issue. However I have a feeling NYU will know that you are rescheduling to November because of Columbia but who knows. I personally know which school I would rather go to, so I think you need to figure that out and decide if its worth rescheduling or not.

Yeah, it kind of sucks to have to travel to not just the same area, but the same city twice when you could just get it done in one trip. It starts to get expensive, especially since I wasted a lot of money on ADSAAS and sending scores because I originally applied to way too money schools. So I'd like to sort of make up for that by at least cutting out the three or four hundred bucks that a second trip would make.

Also, I am trying SO hard to not psycho analyze things to the point where I start wondering if they'll KNOW that I rescheduled because of Columbia or whatever. I'm hoping that that is not the way I have to think because I'll go crazy if I do.

first congratulation on the interview invite. i also got one today. my question is how did you schedule it? i sent an email and have been calling the office all day but all I got was the "sorry i've missed your call" message. it is quite frustrating actually.

thanks in advance.

I called them. The first two times I called I switched the seven and the eight in the phone number and got the wrong desk. But when I called the right number, I got through on the first try. What time did you call? I think I called in the morning/very early afternoon. Maybe they're a little less busy then?

I called them this morning to schedule, but you can email them too. The email address is in your interview invite. They haven't sent me a confirmation email even though they said they would by the end of the day, so it seems like they must be very busy today.

I didn't get a confirmation email either! I was wondering about that and when they would send it.

That's what I did. I called up NYU and they were very helpful, and now I have NYU and Pitt on the same weekend. You could probably change to the Thursday before, or the Monday after, those days are probably not full.

NYU said they haven't started scheduling November yet and to call back in a week or two. I'm thinking that if they haven't started scheduling yet, I should have a pretty good chance of getting the day I want. But it's good to know that they are so nice about scheduling, I've heard that some schools give you a harder time and don't like it when you reschedule.

Thank you to everyone for your responses!!!

So you actually got to speak with Ms. Lugo? I have been calling again today and I still get the same message. If her phone has a caller ID (probably does sigh) I'd look like a crazy ex right now.

Normally I wouldn't be so anxious but I really need to get the 11/14 interview date to expedite my traveling. Plus I don't really want to leave it to chance to get an interview post 12/1.

If I still don't hear from her by tomorrow I may just email Dr. McManus (I am trying to avoid doing that, of course. I am sure he is busy as is).

Is anyone else in the same boat?