Should I retake a 512 with a 124 in CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I'm absolutely ecstatic about my MCAT score, but the 124 in cars is a little concerning to me. Here's the breakdown: 130/124/128/130. I have a 3.82 cGPA and my science GPA is just as high. I shouldn't retake the test, right? It won't limit me from getting II's and interviews right?

My top choice is Tufts (I'm a student there for undergrad now), btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Man I'm in the same situation as you, but got a 514 total. Someone said 124 CARS is closer to a 8, which is like a bare minimum for getting IIs

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post a list of schools that don't accept a 124?

The main thing is if you think you will do better than a 512, by 3-5 points more. If not, then the only thing you can do is apply to schools that don't screen that out. Good luck!!

I can't retake two 130s and a 128, there's no way I could top that. What I was asking for was some information on schools that don't screen out scores below 125.

I can't retake two 130s and a 128, there's no way I could top that. What I was asking for was some information on schools that don't screen out scores below 125.
Oh I just went by your title asking whether you should retake or not! I"m sure you'll have a great list of schools!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey OP I'm in a similar situation as you:

512: 128/124/129/131

I wasn't able to sleep the night before my MCAT (and I only had a couple hours of sleep the day before that as well) so I found that the sleep deprivation hit my CARS section the most whereas I was able to do well on the other sections just based off of background knowledge. I really don't want to retake either (working full time and taking classes).

Only school I know of that screens sections are Emory (nothing below 123) and Georgetown which states "subsection scores below 125 are non-competitive".

Btw if you look at the MCAT subsection percentiles, 123 (37th percentile) is exactly the same percentile as the old 7 VR. 124 is well within the 8 VR range of the old MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I would not retake. You have a solid chance at getting into virtually every school in the US. Even top 10 but usually the top 10 schools want a 127 on CARS. The MCAT is not the only factor that goes into determining your acceptance. To restudy 3 months for an exam simply for one section is a waste of time given your other section scores. 124 isn't that bad and can still get you into many, many schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I woulnd't retake, just focus the rest of your time on solidfying a compelling application instead of wasting it on possibly improving a couple points on CARS. It sounds like your gunning for TUFTS so that 124 shouldn't be the deciding factor in an acceptance. Good luck

I would not retake. You have a solid chance at getting into virtually every school in the US. Even top 10 but usually the top 10 schools want a 127 on CARS. The MCAT is not the only factor that goes into determining your acceptance. To restudy 3 months for an exam simply for one section is a waste of time given your other section scores. 124 isn't that bad and can still get you into many, many schools.
Thanks Jack! How do you think I look for a place like Tufts or Brown?

According to your MCAT Score Retake Application:
https://www.jackwestin.com/evaluate...catEvalSectionResults?A=130&B=124&C=128&D=130

CARS:
You have done better than 43% of people by scoring a 124 on Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills.

Sorry to break it to you but you probably have to retake the MCAT because of this section. Your chances of getting into any school are low. Of course you could get in somewhere but you will be gambling. Don’t worry, you’re not the only one freaking out about this section. It’s a tough section because doctors don’t like to read! Don’t blame your parents for not forcing you to read a lot or for being an international student (in case you are). That stuff doesn’t matter. What matters is your thinking skills and that’s why medical schools really like this section. You need to change up your approach for this section. If you can understand the words you are reading right now you can master CARS. I generally recommend finding a strategy that you can stick to while reading and answering questions. Your strategy doesn’t have to be perfect. The goal is to make the strategy a habit on test day.

124 CARS is 49th percentile now.

Last edited:
Thanks Jack! How do you think I look for a place like Tufts or Brown?

Assuming your GPA, activities, letters of recommendation, and interview are average or better than average, your MCAT score is totally fine. Since you're currently a student at Tufts you probably have a better chance at getting in. In any case I'd recommend giving their admissions department (as well as Brown's) a call to see what they say given your circumstance. Try to get a hold of the admissions director if possible.

@MareNostrummm we updated the site today and their was a glitch that reverted the percentiles to last years AAMC data. However, I looked into it today with our developer and he confirmed everything is back to normal. Sorry for the mix up! A 49% is the right number based on AAMC's most current data report.

Assuming your GPA, activities, letters of recommendation, and interview are average or better than average, your MCAT score is totally fine. Since you're currently a student at Tufts you probably have a better chance at getting in. In any case I'd recommend giving their admissions department (as well as Brown's) a call to see what they say given your circumstance. Try to get a hold of the admissions director if possible.
Well I think that the 124 is equivalent to an 8, and the only school I know that screens out is Emory (can't have a section lower than a 123). This won't preclude me from receiving interviews right?

Well I think that the 124 is equivalent to an 8, and the only school I know that screens out is Emory (can't have a section lower than a 123). This won't preclude me from receiving interviews right?

I'm like your twin (slightly higher MCAT, but a bit lower GPA). Heres what I know from calling around 30 schools: Iowa screens for a 123 if you are OOS. Case screens for 44th percentile for any of the subsections, but also said you need 60th percentile needed to be competitive. GTown said you need at least 125 to be competitive. A bunch of other schools had interns at the desk and didn't really know their policies. There were also a bunch who said the mcat is too new to make up an absolute screen.

Reactions: 1 user

It really depends on the schools but I don't think it will be an issue. Call to be safe for the schools you are most interested in.