Should I retake again?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dee301

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
So I retook my DAT last September and got
PAT: 17 (16)
QR:17 (16)
RC:18 (17)
Bio:19 (16)
GC:22 (18)
OC:19 (20)
TS: 19 (18)
AA: 19 (18)

(the numbers in parenthesis are the scores I got the first time I took it)

Do you guys think it's worth a retake? I never tried CDP and I'm sure that would significantly improve my PAT score and I never focused much on QR which I'm definitely going to focus on this time. For sciences I used mainly Chad, Cliff's, Qvault, and practice tests from Kaplan (I have destroyer but hardly used it).

Any advice with some more materials I could use if I am retaking it?

Members don't see this ad.

Use destroyer for chems , it will help. For pat you can use crack dat but I liked achiever's pat section. I found achiever's pat section to be more challenging than crack dat so I think it might be worth a try.

Using achiever I got used to not relying on the line counting method and I got better at just being able to see patterns.

Reactions: 1 user
You can do very well, if you use all the studying materials that you have. Go through Destroyer sections, then Qvault and Kaplan. Follow it with some textbooks to make sure that you get all the concepts down. In a few months you'll see a big difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go through Destroyer definitely,
and if you felt like you had trouble with the actual test-taking portion of it (like nervousness, or time management) then I suggest using Topscore to practice test-taking.
However, take the Topscore test scores with a grain of salt and don't panic when you see them.

edit:
And since you are asking IF you should retake it again, I would suggest not retaking the exam if your GPA is above 3.6 for Science/Overall. But that is also accounting for where you would like to go to school, and if you have sufficient time to study well and take the DAT before applying.

You got an average score for most schools. Nothing below 17, don't retake unless you're confident you can do better but I think you can get interviews with those scores!

Your scores are about average for many schools. I think a lot of us on SDN feel like we have no shot at getting accepted if we get below 20s due to the number of breakdowns with scores of 20+. I took my DAT a couple months ago and wasn't going to be pleased with anything less than a 20 AA and TS. Needless to say this motivated me during my intense period of studying and it paid off. If you feel like you can do better the third time and you can afford it both financially and time wise, then maybe it's worth a shot to retake it. However, if you apply broadly and have a good GPA and solid LORs you'll be fine!