Should I retake Bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpt1029

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
tl;dr is is worth it to retake bio?

I have an A, B and C in intro biology (quarter system, 3 classes = 1 yr). However not all programs I am applying to even list intro bio as a pre-req and I want to get an ideally full time PT/Rehab aide job as soon as I graduate this summer so I'm wondering if its worth it. (California, planning to apply to CSUs, UCSF, and SMU)

My GRE is 164V/158Q/5W which I think is pretty good, but unsure how it is weighted overall.

Idk my pre-req GPA as it varies by school but it's between 3.3-3.6 depending. (i see a lot of people here with 3.8-4.0 so I'm nervous ngl)

ETA: my cGPA is 3.399, hoping to get it at least to 3.4 next quarter. Bio is my only pre req grade below a B, I have mostly A- -> A with a few B- -> B+

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't retake it. Your GRE scores are pretty good, so that should compensate for your bio grades. I had a C in chem 1 & 2 B's in physics and still managed to get accepted into 3 schools. Sometimes it's worth to give it a shot without having to retake classes and see what happens. Grades are important, however, I think you can make your application stand out with good letters of recommendation and a great personal statement.

Best of luck!

I don’t think that I would retake it at this point, especially if you have performed well in subsequent scores. I was accepted with a pre-req GPA around yours (3.5-3.6ish), my cumulative was 3.2, and my GRE was decent (but not as strong as yours). I had gotten a D in anatomy (retook and got a B), but obviously the mark was still on there. I would personally apply and if you aren’t accepted and it seems like this is the reason why, then maybe? But experience and a good GRE should hopefully outweigh the one C that you got in an intro course.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly wouldn't retake it. Your GRE scores are pretty good, so that should compensate for your bio grades. I had a C in chem 1 & 2 B's in physics and still managed to get accepted into 3 schools. Sometimes it's worth to give it a shot without having to retake classes and see what happens. Grades are important, however, I think you can make your application stand out with good letters of recommendation and a great personal statement.

Best of luck!
Thanks! Im hoping my personal statement is good as I've always been prerty decent at writing.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think that I would retake it at this point, especially if you have performed well in subsequent scores. I was accepted with a pre-req GPA around yours (3.5-3.6ish), my cumulative was 3.2, and my GRE was decent (but not as strong as yours). I had gotten a D in anatomy (retook and got a B), but obviously the mark was still on there. I would personally apply and if you aren’t accepted and it seems like this is the reason why, then maybe? But experience and a good GRE should hopefully outweigh the one C that you got in an intro class.
Thanks! That's reassuring to hear.

Reactions: 1 user