Should I retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falconclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the July 25 test and got a 32. I was getting within the 33-36 range on my practice tests so I'm disappointed and feel I could've done better if I wasn't as nervous. I can take the Sept 6 test but then my application will be delayed for a month. My GPA is a 3.6. Is it worth retaking it?
The breakdown was V 12 P 10 B 10

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your rationale?

A 32 is perfectly competitive. You weren't scoring significantly higher (general consensus I see is if you weren't scoring >4 points higher consistently and you're competitive with your current score, don't retake) consistently on your practice tests. Rushing to retake sounds like a huge mistake.

Not saying you won't crack out a 36 on a retake. That'd look good. However, you're really going to be kicking yourself if you retook, choked, and scored equal or lower to your current score after you were already competitive. Schools tend to expect significant improvement on retakes.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the July 25 test and got a 32. I was getting within the 33-36 range on my practice tests so I'm disappointed and feel I could've done better if I wasn't as nervous. I can take the Sept 6 test but then my application will be delayed for a month. My GPA is a 3.6. Is it worth retaking it?
The breakdown was V 12 P 10 B 10

Delaying your application by that much will hurt you far more than a couple point increase on the MCAT would help you (and that's in the unlikely event you will actually get a significant increase). Apply broadly and you have a decent chance. Wait a month and your chance will be significantly lowered.

Also remember that many schools average multiple takes so an increase of 36 will only be in their eyes an actual application with a 34.

Re-taking would be illogical on your behalf. As stated above, 32 is competitive and even higher than the national average. I wouldn't risk creating a negative outlook on yourself by scoring lower than a 32 your second time around.

You should be fine with those stats assuming you have strong EC's and substantial medical exposure (clinical volunteering) and good LORs.

Re-taking would be illogical on your behalf. As stated above, 32 is competitive and even higher than the national average. I wouldn't risk creating a negative outlook on yourself by scoring lower than a 32 your second time around.

You should be fine with those stats assuming you have strong EC's and substantial medical exposure (clinical volunteering) and good LORs.
okay, sounds good. I do fit that criteria. Just no research experience, but pretty shadowed three different doctors, volunteered in a hospital, and I'm the editor of one of the publications at my college.

I'm a little disappointed because I was expecting to score higher but I was told that it's common to drop a couple of points when taking the actual test versus the practice tests.

My brother wrote me this, when I expressed to him my concern about my application being delayed: "I would think that if you submitted a completed application and they have everything they need, they will look at your new scores. The ones that will accept you, will accept you; the ones that will reject you will probably reject you; and the ones that have you on the bubble will look at the 2nd set of scores when they come in."

What is the response to this? Do schools automatically find out that I'm taking another MCAT, or do they only find out when my scores come in?

My brother wrote me this, when I expressed to him my concern about my application being delayed: "I would think that if you submitted a completed application and they have everything they need, they will look at your new scores. The ones that will accept you, will accept you; the ones that will reject you will probably reject you; and the ones that have you on the bubble will look at the 2nd set of scores when they come in."

What is the response to this? Do schools automatically find out that I'm taking another MCAT, or do they only find out when my scores come in?

From what I know, schools automatically receive your MCAT results when you have designated that you are applying to their schools on the AMCAS.

But also think about this, if schools have you on the bubble, and you end up doing equally or worse on your MCAT retake, that might give them pause about if your first score was luck or not, and might give them fodder to reject you over the plethora of other applicants with your exact score or even lower if your second score hurts you.

Only you know how confident you are with the material, but there are ample opportunities for failure on this road, and a good but not great MCAT is not one of these. A MCAT retake that is poor, however, can be.

Reactions: 1 user

He left out another category. Schools that would have accepted a middle of the road candidate had he only been complete earlier.

But if I don't list the new mcat date on my amcas, it won't delay my application, will it?

Adcoms on here have commented more than once that they question the judgement of anyone who tries to re-take a perfectly adequate score. They say it shows poor judgement. There is no sure advantage to re-taking, and a pretty big potential down-side....

But if I don't list the new mcat date on my amcas, it won't delay my application, will it?

AMCAS instruction manual page 11 (https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf)

"Investigations
The AAMC must ensure high ethical standards for admission to and enrollment in medical
schools. Accordingly, if you are an applicant to medical school or a registrant for the
MCAT, you must provide complete, current, and accurate information throughout the
admission and examination processes.

The AAMC investigates any falsification, omission, or discrepancy in application
materials and irregular behavior exhibited during the administration of the MCAT."

In other words, you are expected to update your AMCAS the day you register for your next MCAT at the latest. When you update the AMCAS with an expected date, schools will most probably put your application on hold pending the results of that exam.

Adcoms on here have commented more than once that they question the judgement of anyone who tries to re-take a perfectly adequate score. They say it shows poor judgement. There is no sure advantage to re-taking, and a pretty big potential down-side....
Yeah, I guess a 32 is okay, but I'm just worried because of my weak GPA.

Alright, so just to be clear, schools wouldn't be cool with it if retook the MCAT in a week and only put it down on my AMCAS once my scores came in, so as not to delay review of my application?