Should I retake my DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hungryelephant1211

Reaction score
Just recently took my DAT and got an okay score overall, but to be honest, don't have that much extracurricular/leadership experience. My GPA is 3.87. I plan to get about 100+ hours of shadowing before sending in my application.
My DAT scores were 23AA/25TS/21QR/19RC/19PAT. My reading comprehension and pat were not ideal and I feel like if I retook it I could do better. What do you guys think? And if I retake the test would I be able to send in my new scores after submitting my apps? I'm so conflicted right now.

Members don't see this ad.

It would almost stupid to retake the DAT over two 19's when your overall score is 23AA and 25TS.... This is your first post so I'm going to assume you're not trolling. Just because you're lacking in EC/Leadership, doesn't mean you'll be a way better applicant if you increased your reading and PAT to 21 each... GPA is solid, get those shadowing hours and write good essays, should be able to get into at least one of your top 5 choices easily. No need to be "so conflicted" over this. Most people in your dental class of D1 will have a 23 or lower anyways, so take the win and apply with confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just recently took my DAT and got an okay score overall, but to be honest, don't have that much extracurricular/leadership experience. My GPA is 3.87. I plan to get about 100+ hours of shadowing before sending in my application.
My DAT scores were 23AA/25TS/21QR/19RC/19PAT. My reading comprehension and pat were not ideal and I feel like if I retook it I could do better. What do you guys think? And if I retake the test would I be able to send in my new scores after submitting my apps? I'm so conflicted right now.
Congratulations! Your scores and GPA will get you into most dental schools. Are you applying to a very competitive school where these scores would not be good enough? I don't see a need for a retake unless you have another low score in the a science section. You did not give the break down of the GC, Orgo or Bio.

Wishing you the best.
Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

It would almost stupid to retake the DAT over two 19's when your overall score is 23AA and 25TS.... This is your first post so I'm going to assume you're not trolling. Just because you're lacking in EC/Leadership, doesn't mean you'll be a way better applicant if you increased your reading and PAT to 21 each... GPA is solid, get those shadowing hours and write good essays, should be able to get into at least one of your top 5 choices easily. No need to be "so conflicted" over this. Most people in your dental class of D1 will have a 23 or lower anyways, so take the win and apply with confidence.

Hello sorry I know I was just freaking out because I didn't finish the reading and pat sections during my test. But thank you so much for your response, reading your post made me laugh a little.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! Your scores and GPA will get you into most dental schools. Are you applying to a very competitive school where these scores would not be good enough? I don't see a need for a retake unless you have another low score in the a science section. You did not give the break down of the GC, Orgo or Bio.

Wishing you the best.
Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers
Hello well, my science scores were pretty decent I got a 27 Bio 24 Gen Chem 26 Ochem! I guess I was thinking about applying to state schools that were really competitive which made me feel inadequate when seeing their stats and experiences. But right now I'm just trying to make my application look as good as I can for now!