Should I retake my MCAT if I'm aiming for these schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be an applicant this cycle who, given a chance, wishes to matriculate into schools out west (Touro CA or Western or AZCOM). Also interested in a Touro-NY. All these schools have the highest MCAT average for DO schools, at around 30 or 29. I think Touro is at 31 actually.

Currently my numbers are a ~3.4 GPA (sgpa is ~3.5 or 3.6 , haven't calculated completely ) and a 31 on the MCAT. I am looking into retaking this MCAT score and before you berate me, please listen. I really want to go to school out west and I am from the southeast with no ties to these schools. Thus, it is in my best interest to have the highest possible numbers because of how selective these west coast schools are when it comes to the MCAT.

Should I bother retaking if I really want a chance to attnd these west coast schools? My MCAT is really nothing great when it comes to these schools so I'd like an honest opinion, given that these schools are what I am aiming for. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NO. I would expect interviews from all 4.

and Western and AZCOM's averages are currently 28

Agree with user3.

Seriously, please don't retake the MCAT. Even with your weak ties to the region, your score is impressive and would easily garner interviews from these schools. DO NOT RETAKE. SERIOUSLY.

Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing everyone else. Your score is plenty high and quite impressive. Don't risk retaking and getting a lower score. You would hate for schools to wonder if your 31 was just a fluke.

Okay thank you all. My pre health advisor said that if I want to apply to schools with 29 or 30 MCAT averages and I have no ties to that region, my MCAT should at least be a standard deviation (3 points) above their average. It scared the crap outta me.

Okay thank you all. My pre health advisor said that if I want to apply to schools with 29 or 30 MCAT averages and I have no ties to that region, my MCAT should at least be a standard deviation (3 points) above their average. It scared the crap outta me.
never listen to pre-med advisors. Come to SDN

Reactions: 7 users

I cannot even fathom where your advisor would acquire such information. You're fine. Apply!

Ditto. I was in the same position as u in September. I had a 3.5 cgpa, a 3.4 sgpa and the same MCAT. My premed advisor told me to wait a year because I would be wasting money if I tried. Ended up getting acceptances at NYCOM and Touro-NY

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Ditto. I was in the same position as u in September. I had a 3.5 cgpa, a 3.4 sgpa and the same MCAT. My premed advisor told me to wait a year because I would be wasting money if I tried. Ended up getting acceptances at NYCOM and Touro-NY

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Whoa. Nice. Huge fan of the Touros. Can I PM you? Just want to ask for some advice on app cycle since we have similar stats.

I am going to be an applicant this cycle who, given a chance, wishes to matriculate into schools out west (Touro CA or Western or AZCOM). Also interested in a Touro-NY. All these schools have the highest MCAT average for DO schools, at around 30 or 29. I think Touro is at 31 actually.

Currently my numbers are a ~3.4 GPA (sgpa is ~3.5 or 3.6 , haven't calculated completely ) and a 31 on the MCAT. I am looking into retaking this MCAT score and before you berate me, please listen. I really want to go to school out west and I am from the southeast with no ties to these schools. Thus, it is in my best interest to have the highest possible numbers because of how selective these west coast schools are when it comes to the MCAT.

Should I bother retaking if I really want a chance to attnd these west coast schools? My MCAT is really nothing great when it comes to these schools so I'd like an honest opinion, given that these schools are what I am aiming for. Thank you!

Given the score you posted previously of 11/9/11, retaking doesn't look like a good gamble for you.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/admissionsadvisors/mcat_stats/
(Scroll to the bottom of the page to see retester data). I wouldn't look at the total score change table, b/c that will include people with a 31 who have an unbalanced score, and thus they have an individual subscore that they're more likely to be able to boost. When your subscores hit a 9/10+ in any given section, you start becoming more likely to stay the same or decrease than to increase. Investing your energy, time, stress in other ways to better your application is probably more likely to pay off.

Given the score you posted previously of 11/9/11, retaking doesn't look like a good gamble for you.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/admissionsadvisors/mcat_stats/
(Scroll to the bottom of the page to see retester data). I wouldn't look at the total score change table, b/c that will include people with a 31 who have an unbalanced score, and thus they have an individual subscore that they're more likely to be able to boost. When your subscores hit a 9/10+ in any given section, you start becoming more likely to stay the same or decrease than to increase. Investing your energy, time, stress in other ways to better your application is probably more likely to pay off.

Oh thanks for the data. It's a little disheartening to see that if you're in the 30-32 range, retaking doesn't usually work out. I wish my distribution was a little more skewed so that retaking would be more ideal. I was trying to get into a more "comfortable" spot by retaking to get a 33 or so, but honestly I don't think I'm capable of that. The MCAT was a beast and studying for it was miserable. I was so close to retaking but after hearing all this, I'm going to back off and only retake if I don't get in this cycle.

@JimmyB123... Heck! You probably can get into low tier MD with your stats...

MD schools unfortunately would laugh at my 3.4 GPA. I'm going to apply to a few but it's like playing the lottery. I would need to do post bac classes to raise my GPA to be competitive at allopathic schools, but honestly I'm at a point in life where I just want to become a physician, so it doesn't matter if it's MD or DO.

MD schools unfortunately would laugh at my 3.4 GPA. I'm going to apply to a few but it's like playing the lottery. I would need to do post bac classes to raise my GPA to be competitive at allopathic schools, but honestly I'm at a point in life where I just want to become a physician, so it doesn't matter if it's MD or DO.

Lower and even some mid-tier MD schools have averages at or even slightly below your stats (GPA and MCAT). I wouldn't quite bet on not getting in if you apply smart. Its a possibility, so still apply DO, but I think your MD chances are better than you think.

100% agree. You're fine for ANY DO school.

Goro, what do you mean by fine? Will it come down to my ECs to get an interview or acceptd into these west coast DO schools?

My ECs are nothing spectacular, which is another reason I wanted to bolster my numbers. Some people have done Peace Corps, started non profits, etc. I have my share of experiences, but in my judgement, they are not unique.

You're fine for many interviews. Naturally, an interview will make or break you, but it actually takes work to bomb an interview, so, you'll be fine. A ND not every applicant is a Nobel laureate or an author in Cell.

Goro, what do you mean by fine? Will it come down to my ECs to get an interview or acceptd into these west coast DO schools?

My ECs are nothing spectacular, which is another reason I wanted to bolster my numbers. Some people have done Peace Corps, started non profits, etc. I have my share of experiences, but in my judgement, they are not unique.

Last edited:
You're fine for many interviews. Naturally, an interview will make or break you, but it actually takes work to bomb an interview, so, you'll be fine. A ND not every applicant is a Nobel laureate or an author in Cell.

How much does the interview weigh in on the ADCOM decision assuming the interviewer didn't bomb it? Does it help bump up a person who would have been wait listed due to stats up to an accept? Can the interview save a tanking application? Does an average interview automatically go to the wait list? What if the person has average stats but doesn't "Wow" the ADCOM members, where they simply say "nice person, but unimpressed"?

I understand that interviewing can be an art form and is completely dependent on the person, but what some things that you see in the interview tank a person and also help a person, and even make a person average? Raw charisma?

Apply to any osteopathic school. I would apply to low and mid-tier md schools too. You gonna be a doctor! :D

An interview will make or break a candidate. My school has rejected 4.0 GPA/40 MCAT people (really!) because they were either soul-less robots incapable of looking you in the eye or showing any emotion, or for being such overwheening hyper-achievers that we feared they'd be in our offices very day whining about why their 97 on a test should be a 99.

A good interview can save a marginal candidate. Sometimes we feel that a candidate is worth taking a chance on.

An avg interview pretty much is an accept. Sometimes I feel "eh" about a candidate, but not bad enough to wait list the person. Or I might say "wait list" but not give a bad enough score, so that my co-interviewers may give scores that rescue the candidate. In that case, I'm OK with the candidate attending. As I've said, one has to work at bombing an interview.

How much does the interview weigh in on the ADCOM decision assuming the interviewer didn't bomb it? Does it help bump up a person who would have been wait listed due to stats up to an accept? Can the interview save a tanking application? Does an average interview automatically go to the wait list? What if the person has average stats but doesn't "Wow" the ADCOM members, where they simply say "nice person, but unimpressed"?

I've posted a number of times before about lethal interview mistakes, so do a search for that. But some of the things that really impressed me is being very articulate, being able to display a level of maturity and understanding well beyond one's years, and having a sunny disposition.

I understand that interviewing can be an art form and is completely dependent on the person, but what some things that you see in the interview tank a person and also help a person, and even make a person average? Raw charisma?