Should I retake the 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tulips543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently got my MCAT 2015 scores back and I'm having a hard time determining if they are good enough to get in to medical schools. Overall I think they look pretty good my score was 514 (91st percentile) with my individual scores being 128, 126, 129, and 131. I'm most worried about my CARS score that is 126 which puts me in the 70th percentile. I am hoping to apply to Canadian medical schools next year and I was wondering if you think these scores would be good enough. Will medical schools turn down an overall good application because the CARS section is a bit lower? If it helps my GPA has been 3.94 out of 4.0 for the first two years of university and I am currently in my third year. I have a fair amount of ECs I've volunteered at hospitals and am involved with various clubs.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you Canadian? If so, then yes, CARS is everything. I can only speak for Ontario, but you'd definitely be good for UofT & Ottawa, Queen's needs a CARS of 10/127, and Western needs a CARS of 11/128. McMaster does have a few acceptances with 9/126 in CARS, but the majority is from 127-128 (10/11).

I honestly don't think it would hurt to retake if you're set for Ontario, the only negative outcome is if you get less than 125 in any one section in your retake, which seems unlikely based on your current scores.

If you can bump your CARS by 1 point, that brings McMaster & Queen's into play, and 2 points, and you're guaranteed an interview at Western!

Okay good to know. I am Canadian, and I currently go to McMaster.
Just curious, when you say that Queen's needs a 10/127 where are you getting that from because I thought they don't release their MCAT cutoffs. Also is the score you gave for Western the 11/128 the minimum or the average?
Thanks again!

Okay good to know. I am Canadian, and I currently go to McMaster.
Just curious, when you say that Queen's needs a 10/127 where are you getting that from because I thought they don't release their MCAT cutoffs. Also is the score you gave for Western the 11/128 the minimum or the average?
Thanks again!

I've read about Queen's on forums, and that's what the consensus is (you're right that they don't disclose cutoffs). For Western, 11 is the minimum.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Queen's need a 10VR on the old one, however 127 isn't confirmed for the new one (just trust here...)
I would NOT retake unless you're set on Western, or if you had a lower GPA.
But I only see it effecting your chances at Western

Queen's need a 10VR on the old one, however 127 isn't confirmed for the new one (just trust here...)
I would NOT retake unless you're set on Western, or if you had a lower GPA.
But I only see it effecting your chances at Western
Also affects his chances at Mac.

Yeah I know Western's out of the picture but I've never really wanted to go to Western anyway so I'm okay with that one.
For Mac do you think it would be a possibility if I score high on CASPER? My GPA is good (3.94 in first and second year) and I have a fair amount of ECs.