Dental Should I retake the DAT and what schools should I apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am getting ready to apply to dental school in the upcoming cycle. on average, how many schools are applicants encouraged to apply to? and based on my stats how many schools should I apply to (GPA:3.799, AA:21 - but going to retake DAT for a better score)?
Need more information, like what the breakdown of your DAT is, but 21 is just about the average of matriculants so applying to about 10-12 should be good as long as you apply early. Max would be about 15.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have a problematic subscore with the PAT or SCI (less than 18), dont retake. Ideally you should have all 20s but usually one under 20 shouldn't be a problem unless it's really low. Check with your schools about how they review DAT scores.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

I have a total science of 21 and PAT 22. I definitely think that I can do better and am currently studying to retake the DAT, however, with everything going on the first time to retake the DAT would be mid august and I think that would be too late. Is it better to apply with this DAT score and apply early? or apply in august with hopefully a better score.
I wouldn't retake and would apply early as soon as the app opens. There's always a chance you could do worse, and that'd hurt you the most. I wouldn't risk it as 21 is a great and pretty competitive score. Make sure you choose schools that are reasonable though (ie, don't apply to TX schools if you aren't a resident, and the UCs and the Ivys may be a little out of your league with the 21).
I would only think about retaking if any of your scores are below 18 (not sure because you didn't give a full breakdown).
Good luck :)

Thanks for your quick response. I actually do not have any scores below a 18. (PAT: 22, QR:22, RC:20, Bio: 22, GC:21, OC:19). The only category that I am actually very good at but surprisingly did really bad in was OC. That is why I was thinking about retaking it and generally improve all the scores specially OC. But as you mentioned there is a risk of getting a lower score. However, UCLA has been my dream school and been wanting to apply there but with a 21 I am not sure I would have a shot. Would my chances still be really low if I have a 3.8, with about 700 hrs of volunteering, 300 hrs shadowing, dental research lab at UCI (been published), dental assisting, and board member of other orgs? Im sorry for going on and on I just want to see how my application would be looked at as a whole.
Would not retake because again, something may happen whether it's nerves, or material you didn't spend enough time on making up the majority of test, etc. and cause you to score lower - it has happened to people.

Your chances are low but I would still take a chance applying because you never know what could happen. I only meant out of your league because your AA is lower than our average of 23, and the DAT is an equalizer so it's slightly more important to schools than your GPA (some schools are easier, some are harder, so GPAs could vary greatly between applicants, and that's why the DAT is there to show schools where you really stand compared to others). But, it's only an average and people get in with stats lower and higher than that, so I would still apply and see how it goes, but make sure the rest of your list is reasonable as well (not all high-tiers) so that at the end of the cycle you aren't scrambling to reapply.

Thanks for your quick response. I actually do not have any scores below a 18. (PAT: 22, QR:22, RC:20, Bio: 22, GC:21, OC:19). The only category that I am actually very good at but surprisingly did really bad in was OC. That is why I was thinking about retaking it and generally improve all the scores specially OC. But as you mentioned there is a risk of getting a lower score. However, UCLA has been my dream school and been wanting to apply there but with a 21 I am not sure I would have a shot. Would my chances still be really low if I have a 3.8, with about 700 hrs of volunteering, 300 hrs shadowing, dental research lab at UCI (been published), dental assisting, and board member of other orgs? Im sorry for going on and on I just want to see how my application would be looked at as a whole.
Don't retake the DAT then. You can't obsess over the 19, and very few people are going to pay attention to OC if your transcript shows a solid performance in organic chemistry. If you have friends who are students at UCLA, it shouldn't be a huge problem. Just be smart, get everything vetted, and apply early.

Status
Not open for further replies.