Should I retake the DAT for my top two schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkTooth245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a terrible time testing, I was so nervous I threw up outside and freaked myself out. The testing center was noisy from the lockers and I was placed by the door where I had to hear people walking in and out constantly. It was a bad day.

PAT-19
QR-17
RC-19
BIO-17
GC-16
OC-19
TS-18
AA-18

I currently have a 3.4 GPA and 3.3 Science GPA. (Biology Major)
Loads of extra curricular activities and shadowing hours, I'm talking 150+ in each.
Leadership positions held through all 3 years of undergrad and did research.
I have worked 20-30 hours a week since high school. First a dental assistance, radiology certified through my state, and now I am a pharmacy technician with a certification.

Currently, I am freaking out because the application opens soon, I will be an early applicant however, I am unsure if I should even apply this year. My top three schools are:

Indiana University
Louisville Kentucky
U of New England, Maine

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly it's quite hard to assess chances when we're talking about three schools. Dental admissions is a little bit of a crap shoot, thus the importance of applying broadly. Both your DAT and GPA are a little low, so if you are serious about these three schools you should probably make yourself as competitive as possible--> retake DAT IF you think you could do better. That's a big if though. Best of luck.

Honestly it's quite hard to assess chances when we're talking about three schools. Dental admissions is a little bit of a crap shoot, thus the importance of applying broadly. Both your DAT and GPA are a little low, so if you are serious about these three schools you should probably make yourself as competitive as possible--> retake DAT IF you think you could do better. That's a big if though. Best of luck.
I plan on applying to 7 schools but if it is going to be a waste of $1000 then I rather wait. I work hard for my money and don't have much room to pay for applying every year for the next 3 years. I feel like that this point I may want to just wait until next year. Thank you for the advice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
the 16 and two 17s raise some flags IMO, a retake would likely be best since I think you have pretty slim chances

I plan on applying to 7 schools but if it is going to be a waste of $1000 then I rather wait. I work hard for my money and don't have much room to pay for applying every year for the next 3 years. I feel like that this point I may want to just wait until next year. Thank you for the advice :)

Wait, it's waste of money to apply with your current stat.

Wait, it's waste of money to apply with your current stat.
That is kind of why I posted the forum. I think that that my GPA could be better but I had a rough start, I hope, that they will see I am getting all A's in all my upper level classes. I have a lot of other things on my application that I consider competitive. However, if my DAT will land me right in the reject pile, then I rather wait. I was hoping to pull in some students that have been accepted with similar situations. Or if someone was rejected with similar situation that they could give some good advice.

the 16 and two 17s raise some flags IMO, a retake would likely be best since I think you have pretty slim chances
The application opens tomorrow, would you suggest a retake this year and apply late? or retake when convenient and apply early next cycle?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Funny to look at this months later and to see somebody boldly telling you applying to dental schools would be a "waste of money," and you have interview invites from 2 of your top 3 schools. Congrats, keep pushing on, and understand that some people who post here (actually, virtually all people who post here) know nothing more about the admission process than you do. The average DAT at Indiana is a 19.3 and GPA is 3.5. If everybody accepted at Indiana had a 20+ DAT, the average would not be 19.3. The range of enrollees is 15-28. I'm sure that 15 AA was more of a "red flag" than your 16 on one subtest. So to tell you that applying to dental school is a waste of money with an 18 AA is just flat wrong, as you have proven. Of course the better your stats, the better the odds. But averages exist for a reason. Congratulations on your interviews!

Reactions: 6 users
Funny to look at this months later and to see somebody boldly telling you applying to dental schools would be a "waste of money," and you have interview invites from 2 of your top 3 schools. Congrats, keep pushing on, and understand that some people who post here (actually, virtually all people who post here) know nothing more about the admission process than you do. The average DAT at Indiana is a 19.3 and GPA is 3.5. If everybody accepted at Indiana had a 20+ DAT, the average would not be 19.3. The range of enrollees is 15-28. I'm sure that 15 AA was more of a "red flag" than your 16 on one subtest. So to tell you that applying to dental school is a waste of money with an 18 AA is just flat wrong, as you have proven. Of course the better your stats, the better the odds. But averages exist for a reason. Congratulations on your interviews!
Youre right. Though if his dream school was UoP or Columbia I dont think he would have a shot.

\
That particular poster told just about everyone that :).

Reactions: 1 user