Should I retake the MCAT (30/45)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legatron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through some of these "should I retake the MCAT?" threads and the common advice I'm seeing is that people shouldn't retake a 30 (or the 2015 MCAT equivalent) or higher. This barely applies to me, and I'd appreciate a sanity check from you all.

A bit of background on me: though I was premed for most of undergraduate career, and completed all of the prerequisite courses, I ultimately decided not to pursue medicine at that time. I did end up taking the MCAT then largely because the test format was about to change, and the relevant coursework was still fresh in my mind - I wanted to leave the med school door open. I took it and scored a 30 (10/10/10).

I've recently felt myself being drawn back towards the medical path, and plan on applying during the upcoming cycle (for 2018 matriculation). I have an issue in that I'm just not happy at all with that MCAT score. My heart wasn't really in it at the time, and the fact that I did not adequately prepare for the test (did all of my studying over a three-week winter break) gives me reason to believe that I can do substantially better on a retake.

Though it's possible that I would get into medical school with my current score, I do think that the score would keep me out a a substantial number of schools that I'm interested in, and is harming my application profile when it could be helping it.

The average MCAT score for students at my undergraduate institution for people with similar sGPAs is ~515-516, and I don't think there's any reason I can't score similarly assuming adequate prep. Furthermore, since I am already over a year out of undergrad there's not a lot else I have to focus on in the next 9 or so months until I apply. I have plenty of research, community service, clinical experience, etc at this point.

Main caveats to all of this are (1) that I work pretty long hours (~60/week), so studying would be painful (doable though), and (2) the content isn't as fresh in my mind as it was during undergrad.

I would be taking in mid-January, so I'd have 4+ months to prepare. Would people retake or apply with the current score in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

How old will your score be next year? Unless you took one of the last 2014 administrations you will likely be able to justify a retake as necessary to meet school requirements

I took one of the last administrations of the pre-2015 MCAT in early 2015, so, from what I understand the score will still be valid when I apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took one of the last administrations of the pre-2015 MCAT in early 2015, so, from what I understand the score will still be valid when I apply.
What were you scoring on the AAMC practice tests before you tested for the 30? What is your GPA and college (just treat your account as a throwaway if you're worried about anonymity)?

Looking back at my notes, my last 5 practice tests before the old MCAT were: 31, 30, 32, 34, 33.

My GPA was a 3.8 with a strong upward trend, and I went to a top 10 undergrad.

Looking back at my notes, my last 5 practice tests before the old MCAT were: 31, 30, 32, 34, 33.

My GPA was a 3.8 with a strong upward trend, and I went to a top 10 undergrad.
The rule is generally to expect +/- 2 of your practice average, which you did, unfortunately on the -2 end off a 32 average. So, if you're going to make a drastic improvement, it would have to be from taking the preparation much more seriously.

Which college matters! A 3.8 at Princeton, Caltech, U Chicago, MIT, Hopkins -> you're a standout against the student body and I'd say retake without hesitation. A 3.8 at Harvard, Stanford, Duke? Not quite as easy to say, though I'd probably still retake in your shoes. Is sGPA also 3.8?

Yeah, I think the reason I underperformed the first time around (relative to what I'd consider to be my potential) was lack of adequate prep rather than test day anxiety or anything like that. Didn't think it was likely I was ever going to apply medical school at that time, and taking it at all was a very poor decision in retrospect.

Prep for a retake would be 4+ months, as opposed to my 3 weeks last time, and my target would be 515-516+

Undergrad school was Duke.. sGPA was a bit lower at ~3.74. Though, I got "A"s in all of the relevant MCAT-related courses (Gen Chem, Orgo, Physics, Bio, Biochem)

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I think the reason I underperformed the first time around (relative to what I'd consider to be my potential) was lack of adequate prep rather than test day anxiety or anything like that. Didn't think it was likely I was ever going to apply medical school at that time, and taking it at all was a very poor decision in retrospect.

Prep for a retake would be 4+ months, as opposed to my 3 weeks last time, and my target would be 515-516+

Undergrad school was Duke.. sGPA was a bit lower at ~3.74. Though, I got "A"s in all of the relevant MCAT-related courses (Gen Chem, Orgo, Physics, Bio, Biochem)
Yeah, 3 weeks is not nearly enough. I'd put a lot of money on a significant improvement. Students with 3.8+ sGPA at WashU clear at least 33+ about 90% of the time, I imagine As in sciences at Duke will predict similarly. Take it seriously and kick its butt this time!