Should I retake the MCAT with a 30?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeproots

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I'll give some of my stats:

Caucasian female w/ "unique" situation--22-years-old, military husband who deployed to Afghanistan during junior year, overcame highly dysfunctional childhood, etc.
Virginia resident, applying to both in-state and out-of-state MD schools.
3.844 GPA, ~3.85 science GPA, Phi Beta Kappa honors, will graduate with distinction, top 5 public university
2 years research experience w/ acceptance to and completion of competitive research-based program (involving thesis, oral presentation, etc.), but no publications
President of university organization and active student peer advisor
Part-time job w/ distinguished professor doing a project w/ potential for publication
~30 hours shadowing experience, ~100 hours hospital volunteering
Excellent letters of recommendation
Currently searching for healthcare, research, and/or tutoring jobs for gap year

So here's the deal with my MCAT. I received a 30 (10 physical, 9 verbal, 11 bio), which I am not happy with. The girl beside me talked to herself throughout the exam. Because I know this affected my concentration, I filed a test center concern with AAMC and they responded with a letter, acknowledging the situation, for me to submit to medical schools if desired.

So, here are my options, I think:
1. Submit applications in June with/without AAMC test concern letter without scheduling a re-take (not sure if submitting test concern letter will make me sound whiney).
2. Submit applications in June with re-take scheduled for July

I'm hesitant to re-take because I was receiving ~32 on the AAMC practice exams, but I think a good amount of that had to do with my study materials (screw you examkrackers). If I were to re-take (with different study books), I would have ~1.5 months to study with at least 6 hours per day, M-F. Since most of the material is still fresh in my head, I think a 33-34 is attainable.

I know that re-taking and not doing substantially better can do more harm than good for your application, so I don't know if a re-take is worth the risk or stress (not to mention the possibility of re-taking and ending up in a similar situation). But, I also know that my MCAT score is the outlier in my application, and I know I'll be applying to much different schools with a 30 MCAT score vs. with a 33-34 MCAT score.

Can anybody give me advice? So many people are telling me lots of different things and I have no clue what to do :( I really appreciate any advice y'all can offer!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think given your great application, a retake is only necessary if you only want to go to top schools. If you are content with low/mid tier schools then I don't see a reason to go back through all of that. You should be able to snag a couple acceptances if you apply broadly and to smart schools. If you really think you can do at least 2-3 or so points higher, then by all means go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, gyngyn. It makes me feel better that I'm considered a good applicant for some schools, at least.

Just curious, do you think my AAMC test concern letter provides more justification for a re-take? I was hoping that schools would understand my decision to re-take more due to the distractions, even if I only score a few points higher. Then again, I also don't want to sound like I'm making excuses either. Ugh this is so frustrating, haha.

Thanks for the advice, DoctorLacrosse! I definitely would like to attend top schools, and I would re-take the MCAT if I knew the benefit would outweigh the cost. But, I'm just not sure if 2-3 points better on the MCAT with a re-take will significantly increase my chances of getting into more schools.

Can you do more volunteer work? Like starting ASAP...Something non-medical. Schools want that. Besides there has to be things you like doing outside of studying science. That might offset the typical hospital volunteering that *so* many applicants have. Perhaps look at the categories of the work and activities for the AMCAs app so you can see what I'm talking about.

Your MCAT landed that magical 30+. I wouldn't retake it. Your grades are awesome. Write a compelling and interesting personal statement and strategically craft your extracurriculars to stand out.

You know what.

The truth is... *if* you didn't get in you'd probably have that 'what if'. What if that girl wasn't talking and I scored a 34 the first time... What if I did retake and scored a 34. It's a tough call.

Thanks for the advice, gyngyn. It makes me feel better that I'm considered a good applicant for some schools, at least.

Just curious, do you think my AAMC test concern letter provides more justification for a re-take? I was hoping that schools would understand my decision to re-take more due to the distractions, even if I only score a few points higher. Then again, I also don't want to sound like I'm making excuses either. Ugh this is so frustrating, haha.
We don't look that closely, I'm afraid.

Can you do more volunteer work? Like starting ASAP...Something non-medical. Schools want that. Besides there has to be things you like doing outside of studying science. That might offset the typical hospital volunteering that *so* many applicants have. Perhaps look at the categories of the work and activities for the AMCAs app so you can see what I'm talking about.

Your MCAT landed that magical 30+. I wouldn't retake it. Your grades are awesome. Write a compelling and interesting personal statement and strategically craft your extracurriculars to stand out.

Thank you for your kind words! I have quite a few non-medical extracurriculars, but most are from my freshman year (before I transferred, since my current university is a TON more difficult and I had less time for fun stuff):
- Varsity cheerleader for 2 teams (freshman year)
- Volunteered (freshman year): assistant coach for special-needs cheering team, worked at a soup kitchen once/week
-Volunteered (past 2 years): transfer student advisor and president of a science club for kids

Do you think those will be sufficient? I put a ton of time into the science club one (which is technically non-medical?), so I didn't have much time for any other extracurriculars.

I also agree about the whole "what if" thing, but I would also hate myself if I re-took and received a 31 or something. I don't think that would happen (I estimate ~33), but I also didn't think someone would be literally talking aloud during my first MCAT either :/ You're right--it's a tough call. I just wish I knew how much improvement is required to justify a re-take, but I know that's conditional as well. Ugh so frustrating! But thanks a ton for your advice and kind words!

Thank you for your kind words! I have quite a few non-medical extracurriculars, but most are from my freshman year (before I transferred, since my current university is a TON more difficult and I had less time for fun stuff):
- Varsity cheerleader for 2 teams (freshman year)
- Volunteered (freshman year): assistant coach for special-needs cheering team, worked at a soup kitchen once/week
-Volunteered (past 2 years): transfer student advisor and president of a science club for kids

Do you think those will be sufficient? I put a ton of time into the science club one (which is technically non-medical?), so I didn't have much time for any other extracurriculars.

I also agree about the whole "what if" thing, but I would also hate myself if I re-took and received a 31 or something. I don't think that would happen (I estimate ~33), but I also didn't think someone would be literally talking aloud during my first MCAT either :/ You're right--it's a tough call. I just wish I knew how much improvement is required to justify a re-take, but I know that's conditional as well. Ugh so frustrating! But thanks a ton for your advice and kind words!

These are good things, but you stopped after freshman a year. Definitely list them though. The cheer leading + volunteer cheer leading with special needs shows something you enjoy outside of science and medicine/healthcare. Now that you'll be entering a gap year can you find time to getting back to doing the things you enjoy? Even if you can't get paid for tutoring, perhaps volunteer in a science classroom in your community for an hour a week. That is related to science, but you are connecting with your community AND teaching.

Yes the science club is non-medical, but it's good to show who you are outside of science and medicine. Every applicant enjoys science and medicine... Well at least in theory lol. Fortunately, the AMCAs app will ask you how much time you spent for each activity you list. Hopefully adcoms will notice your time commitment in the science club.

I'm not saying fluff your app with randomness though. Do extracurriculars that you're genuinely interested in. Out of all the ECs you've mentioned the cheer leading with special needs children was the most interesting.

Thanks for your insight, quechua! Unfortunately I had to stop coaching the special needs team (which was by far my favorite volunteer experience) since I moved when I transferred schools after my freshman year. I dropped cheerleading largely because I sustained waaaay too many injuries from it, and I decided being healthy enough to run around with my future children was more important than a year or two more of my favorite sport. It was a good decision, although I miss it frequently.

I'll definitely look into extracurriculars during my gap year. I've been longing to train my dog to be a therapy dog (the ones who visit patients in the hospital and make them happy). Both he and I would find so much joy from that, so I think I'll start there :)

Thanks so much again for your advice and kindness!!!