Should I retake the OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amore612

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bio major with a chem minor, about to start my senior year of undergrad. I just took the OAT for the first time, and my scores weren't that great :( But I have a high overall GPA, about 84 hours (just counted them up lol!) of shadowing an optometrist and I'm still shadowing, so that number should keep going up, I'm a member of the pre-health professions club, biology honors society (TriBeta), I have been doing research with one of my professors for half a year and will continue it into next year, I'm an honors program student and will do a senior thesis (a project) this year, and I was a TA for one semester. I am considering TA-ing again before graduating in May '16.

Should I retake the OAT? The only schools I'm applying to are the two in Texas (UIWRSO and UHCO).

Overall GPA: 3.96
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0

OAT Scores:
QR: 270
RC: 350
Bio: 320
GC: 360
OC: 300
PS: 290

TS: 320
AA: 320

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would email the school directly with your stats and see what they say. Most schools are happy to recommend what to do. Better to know from those directly involved, especially since all of the schools are so different

Reactions: 1 users
Houston MIGHT want you to retake it. But honestly, your GPA really off-sets your score. Depends on what other optometric experiences you have, too, and how you do on your interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where you are applying. I know my #1 choice has a system where a subsection score of 270 or below is automatically thrown out before the admissions committee even looks at the application. Some, maybe most, probably do not have this system. It is best to contact them and ask them to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would email the school directly with your stats and see what they say. Most schools are happy to recommend what to do. Better to know from those directly involved, especially since all of the schools are so different

I guess applying early would probably also help my chances. Thank you for your response :)

Depends on where you are applying. I know my #1 choice has a system where a subsection score of 270 or below is automatically thrown out before the admissions committee even looks at the application. Some, maybe most, probably do not have this system. It is best to contact them and ask them to know.

I don't know about Houston, doesn't say on the website, but RSO specifically states online that you need a minimum overall OAT score of 300; there does not appear to be a cut-off subsection score. I should probably get in touch with UHCO.

Thank you for responding! :)

Houston MIGHT want you to retake it. But honestly, your GPA really off-sets your score. Depends on what other optometric experiences you have, too, and how you do on your interview.

I am grateful for my GPA. I've been volunteering and shadowing with my optometrist (known him for 10+ years) for almost a year now, and I have gained useful insight from the experience. In the town where I live, there are other small, private clinics such as the one I'm at right now, but that's about it. I could look into volunteering at a local hospital's eye institute, but wouldn't HIPPA be an issue? I'm just trying to find the best way to strengthen my experience in the optometric field, but I feel I'm running out of time...:(

I've also heard from an admissions rep that shadowing and volunteering is more encouraged (you're sacrificing time w/out payment), rather than working a job at a clinic, but is that really true?

I don't know about Houston, doesn't say on the website, but RSO specifically states online that you need a minimum overall OAT score of 300; there does not appear to be a cut-off subsection score. I should probably get in touch with UHCO.

Thank you for responding! :)
That is correct. I'm applying to:

NSUOCO
RSO
Western
Midwestern

RSO, Western, and Midwestern have all told me on the phone to get a 300, or atleast close. They said if I get a 290 I could still be competitive. NSUOCO on the other hand told me I need a 310 or higher to be competitive and NSUOCO is my #1 choice. Each school is different which is why it's important to talk to them on the phone or email. Good luck!

I am grateful for my GPA. I've been volunteering and shadowing with my optometrist (known him for 10+ years) for almost a year now, and I have gained useful insight from the experience. In the town where I live, there are other small, private clinics such as the one I'm at right now, but that's about it. I could look into volunteering at a local hospital's eye institute, but wouldn't HIPPA be an issue? I'm just trying to find the best way to strengthen my experience in the optometric field, but I feel I'm running out of time...:(

I've also heard from an admissions rep that shadowing and volunteering is more encouraged (you're sacrificing time w/out payment), rather than working a job at a clinic, but is that really true?
The last part is not necessarily true. All the schools I'm applying to love that I have worked in 2 offices. Shadowing is important as well but nothing wrong with working in a clinic.

I'm a bio major with a chem minor, about to start my senior year of undergrad. I just took the OAT for the first time, and my scores weren't that great :( But I have a high overall GPA, close to 40 hours of shadowing an optometrist and I'm still shadowing, so that number should keep going up, I'm a member of the pre-health professions club, biology honors society (TriBeta), I have been doing research with one of my professors for half a year and will continue it into next year, I'm an honors program student and will do a senior thesis (a project) this year, and I was a TA for one semester. I am considering TA-ing again before graduating in May '16.

Should I retake the OAT? The only schools I'm applying to are the two in Texas (UIWRSO and UHCO).

Overall GPA: 3.96
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0

OAT Scores:
QR: 270
RC: 350
Bio: 320
GC: 360
OC: 300
PS: 290

TS: 320
AA: 320
I think you have a pretty good OAT score, and your gpa will offset your OAT score as well. You will definitely get few interviews. However, it all depends on which school you want to go!!!

If you do well in the interviews, I seriously doubt you will have problems getting into any Optometry School.

That is correct. I'm applying to:

NSUOCO
RSO
Western
Midwestern

RSO, Western, and Midwestern have all told me on the phone to get a 300, or atleast close. They said if I get a 290 I could still be competitive. NSUOCO on the other hand told me I need a 310 or higher to be competitive and NSUOCO is my #1 choice. Each school is different which is why it's important to talk to them on the phone or email. Good luck!

You're going to do amazingly on the OAT =) I hope you get into your dream school, you sound very well-prepared and determined! :)

You're going to do amazingly on the OAT =) I hope you get into your dream school, you sound very well-prepared and determined! :)
Thank you! I'm overly prepared! Optometry is my #1 choice but since I am a big worrier I have already began researching back up careers such as podiatry, chiropractic, etc. My wife tells me everytime I stress out that I will do fine and to focus on Optometry first which is what I am trying to do. I like to be over prepared for if something happens and I do not get in though. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a pretty good OAT score, and your gpa will offset your OAT score as well. You will definitely get few interviews. However, it all depends on which school you want to go!!!

Thank you for the encouragement! The only two I'm applying to are RSO and UHCO (I can't go out of state :() so I hope I get into both of them =)

Thank you! I'm overly prepared! Optometry is my #1 choice but since I am a big worrier I have already began researching back up careers such as podiatry, chiropractic, etc. My wife tells me everytime I stress out that I will do fine and to focus on Optometry first which is what I am trying to do. I like to be over prepared for if something happens and I do not get in though. Lol

Lol having back-up plans is honestly a great way to go. By the sound of it you definitely won't need any of them lol =)

Lol having back-up plans is honestly a great way to go. By the sound of it you definitely won't need any of them lol =)
I sure hope not! Good luck to you as well! Who knows, we may end up at RSO together! Lol

Another question - I already have 84 hours shadowing an optometrist I've known for 10+ years, but I feel like I should expand my shadowing/volunteering. Is it too late to do that? I still have a whole month before the semester starts, so I was thinking I could explore the eye institute at my local hospital (I live in a very small town, all of the optometrists operate out of small private offices, other than the hospital). I volunteered at that hospital during high school, but because of HIPPA they never let me interact with patients. Or doctors. :(

Also, although OptomCAS says you can update your Experiences section at any time after submitting (though you can't delete/change whatever you've already entered), the optometry schools aren't going to really look at anything new, right?

Sorry if any of these questions sound badly thought-out, just trying to get information! Thank you in advance :)

I sure hope not! Good luck to you as well! Who knows, we may end up at RSO together! Lol

Thank you!! And that would be awesome, see you at RSO if that's how it goes for both of us! :)

Another question - I already have 84 hours shadowing an optometrist I've known for 10+ years, but I feel like I should expand my shadowing/volunteering. Is it too late to do that? I still have a whole month before the semester starts, so I was thinking I could explore the eye institute at my local hospital (I live in a very small town, all of the optometrists operate out of small private offices, other than the hospital). I volunteered at that hospital during high school, but because of HIPPA they never let me interact with patients. Or doctors. :(

Also, although OptomCAS says you can update your Experiences section at any time after submitting (though you can't delete/change whatever you've already entered), the optometry schools aren't going to really look at anything new, right?

Sorry if any of these questions sound badly thought-out, just trying to get information! Thank you in advance :)
I would try to get in with another optometrist just to show them you have seen a variety of different practices. 84 shadowing hours is great! Maybe just diversify it a little bit! :)

You should be fine with RSO, but I think you need to retake your OAT for UHCO. Your score is not bad overall but there is a low 270. You can submit your application now and wait for an answer. They usually tell you if they want you to retake. I also applied those two schools last year :) good luck

I also just applied to those two schools this past year. I was in your exact position only I got a 310 AA and had a 3.9 GPA. I was accepted into both and was not asked to retake the OAT. Honestly, if they have an issue, they will accept you "conditionally" meaning you're accepted as long as you retake your OAT and do better. Just off my experience this past year I think you are fine. I wouldn't retake it unless they ask you to. Apply early-- people with average OAT scores and low GPAs usually get in. Your GPA represents your work ethic in the four years of undergrad and admissions committees will see that. Your oat score represents one test, it's something you can retake and change but your GPA you work years for. It will count for something

Last edited:
I also just applied to those two schools this past year. I was in your exact position only I got a 310 AA and had a 3.9 GPA. I was accepted into both and was not asked to retake the OAT. Honestly, if they have an issue, they will accept you "conditionally" meaning you're accepted as long as you retake your OAT and do better. Just off my experience this past year I think you are fine. I wouldn't retake it unless they ask you to. Apply early-- people with average OAT scores and low GPAs usually get in. Your GPA represents your work ethic in the four years of undergrad and admissions committees will see that. Your oat score represents one test, it's something you can retake and change but your GPA you work years for. It will count for something

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply. Honestly, this makes me feel so, so, so much better, since you were in my exact position, too. You're very right, our GPAs demonstrate our ability to handle the rigor of optometry school, so they're very important, too. I've got a game plan now! Thank you again, and I hope you're having a great time in optometry school! :)

I hesitate to make this comment but just realize it's my own opinion. Oh who am I kidding, this is gospel.

I worried a ton about getting into Optometry school when I was in your situation. I didn't have much time to study for the OAT, and I took it the weekend before I got married. I walked out sure that I would be rejected by every school (I got a 310 AA). My GPA was decent but I didn't think it would be enough.

I applied early to six schools, was invited to interview at all of them, and was accepted to the three who interviewed me.

Moral of the story: getting into Optometry school isn't as hard as you think it is. Getting your top school might be harder, but getting into "a" school is not difficult, as long as you 1. Meet the minimum academic requirements. 2. Prepare well for the interview, and 3. Apply early!

And it will only get easier as more schools compete for a limited applicant pool. Probably not good for the profession, but good for applicants, assuming you really are prepared for graduate school.

Reactions: 2 users
I hesitate to make this comment but just realize it's my own opinion. Oh who am I kidding, this is gospel.

I worried a ton about getting into Optometry school when I was in your situation. I didn't have much time to study for the OAT, and I took it the weekend before I got married. I walked out sure that I would be rejected by every school (I got a 310 AA). My GPA was decent but I didn't think it would be enough.

I applied early to six schools, was invited to interview at all of them, and was accepted to the three who interviewed me.

Moral of the story: getting into Optometry school isn't as hard as you think it is. Getting your top school might be harder, but getting into "a" school is not difficult, as long as you 1. Meet the minimum academic requirements. 2. Prepare well for the interview, and 3. Apply early!

And it will only get easier as more schools compete for a limited applicant pool. Probably not good for the profession, but good for applicants, assuming you really are prepared for graduate school.

Sounds like a bad thing to me.