USMLE Should i retake the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madesh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the USMLE my 4th year in the u.s. It has been a while since the date of my graduation from (foreign) med school since i had previously worked outside of the us as a surgeon. My score was passing, but i got a score of a 193. On both step 1 and step 2. I am in my late 40's and since i am foreign, the fees for retaking it are higher. Is retaking and using that money worth it? Will the chances of getting a residency raise? I have been trying for a residency program for 5 years and still havent gotten it (although i have the requirements). If i retake it, will it be worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't think it was an option to retake a passing score.

It isn't.

If you pass those are the scores you're stuck with for better or for worse.

This isn't quite true. After 10 years, your score lapses and you must resit the exam. You get a new score.

If you already took Step 1 and have been applying for 5 years... maybe you're 7 years along? Imagine what your score would be if you UFAPed hard for 3 years (half-joking)....

If you resit in 3 years and get a high score, you'd have a decent shot at FM. FM, rural in particular, can have a wide scope of practice including some surgical procedures (appys, choleys, vasectomy, uncomplicated inguinal hernias, etc.). But you'd also need US clinical experience to complement your (hopefully) high Step 1 score. At this point, that's the only path forward that I can see.

Categorical surgery is an exceptionally difficult match, even for recent USIMG graduates with above-average Step 1 scores. If you're still keen, you'd need to hustle meaningful research and connections, in addition to an impressive Step 1 and fabulous clinical evaluations.

Please be careful with Charting Outcomes. Independent Applicants include DOs, people with no visa issues, people who go on to do really well on Step 2CK, etc. The 33% match rate for general surgery or 20% match rate for FM for people scoring <200 doesn't apply to you.

But your question wasn't about "can." It was about "should." That's up to you.

You're in your mid-40s and already work as a surgeon. How badly do you want it, and are you okay with knowing that how badly you want it might not even matter?

And if the threshold for potentially improving your chances vs. not is spending an extra grand... maybe this isn't for you.

I'm sorry if this post is discouraging. There is a path forward (as described above). I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited: