Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flooflun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the exam as a Junior in August 2005 (Now I am in my junior year). I was pretty disappointed with my score:

8V, 11PS, 10BS
29N

I am in an early assurance program with Temple (I need to get 9s in all three sections and I am into Temple automatically with an interview and a letter of rec.) I was disappointed with my scores because all I needed was another 9 and I was getting 31s (4 straight before the exam, no score below a 9) on the Kaplan practice tests.

Is it worth it to take it again to try to get 9s and automatically get into Temple or should I just stick with these scores and go through the standard application process?

If I take it again and still don't get 9s, will the med schools look at this harshly? Do they avg the scores or take the latest or the best or whatever?

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Well, do you really really want to go to Temple? Could you still get in through the normal app process or would you have to go this way? 29 isn't a bad score and you'll get in somewhere with it, depends on how bad you want to go to Temple.

Anastasis said:
Well, do you really really want to go to Temple?...29 isn't a bad score and you'll get in somewhere with it, depends on how bad you want to go to Temple.

I dont really want to go there but I don't want to go through the whole admissions process either.

Anastasis said:
Could you still get in through the normal app process or would you have to go this way?

No, I am not restricted to only going to temple...I can apply to any other med school.

I just dont know how good my scores are to get into another school, especially with the 8 in verbal which I heard med schools consider the most. However, quite a few students at my university have told me that the advertised "30" scores are not really true as all of them have gotten in below that with lower GPAs than mine.

Cum GPA: 3.748
Science GPA: 3.784

THANKS

Your verbal is a bit on the low side. I recommend retaking it to increase your overall chances of acceptance.