Should I send a 720 Chem to Columbia?

bluewind751

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already gotten a 760 US History and 770 Math 2 and I'm pretty satisfied with those scores. I can't retake anymore subject tests until next year since I'm already registered for the regular SAT in June. (I don't wanna retake them anyway.) Since Columbia only asks for 2 subject tests, is it disadvantageous to send a less than stellar 720 Chem to Columbia?

I don't know if this is useful information, but I would also like to major in biomedical engineering in a premed track.

Members don't see this ad.

I have already gotten a 760 US History and 770 Math 2 and I'm pretty satisfied with those scores. I can't retake anymore subject tests until next year since I'm already registered for the regular SAT in June. (I don't wanna retake them anyway.) Since Columbia only asks for 2 subject tests, is it disadvantageous to send a less than stellar 720 Chem to Columbia?

I don't know if this is useful information, but I would also like to major in biomedical engineering in a premed track.

If you are applying to engineering you have to submit one math and either chem or physics so not only have to submit your chem score but you also have to put that down on the application as your second SAT 2.

To make sure this was still the case I looked it up for you:
In addition to the SAT or ACT, you must also take
two SAT Subject Tests. For Columbia College, you
may choose any two subjects; for The Fu
Foundation School of Engineering and Applied
Science, you must take any mathematics test and
either Physics or Chemistry.
Students must
submit all SAT Subject Test scores from all test
dates.
for BME they used to allow you to replace chem or physics with bio but i'm not sure if they still do that.

finally if you do end up at columbia as a BME i highly suggest you do not tell anyone you're premed or thinking about med school ...for as long as you are there you should identify as an engineer...period

Thanks for the heads-up.
If I wanted to apply to other colleges, and sending chem was optional, should I?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads-up.
If I wanted to apply to other colleges, and sending chem was optional, should I?

That depends on the school and the SAT II average. Probably a better question for College Confidential... They are a lot more up to date on the SAT/ACT/SAT II game and when I had questions, they were quick to answer.

Good luck, and your 720 is a good score, don't be discouraged by it.

Probably a better question for College Confidential... They are a lot more up to date on the SAT/ACT/SAT II game and when I had questions, they were quick to answer.

good suggestion ...you'll find people more than willing to help there who are much closer to the college admissions process ...i stopped posting there because i'm way too far removed from the process to be useful...much has change