Should I send a pre-interview UPDATE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's generally recommended to wait awhile and use an update letter to throw your name back in the mix post-interview or while on waitlist, BUT...

I think my clinical experience hours are the weakest part of my application. I'm taking a gap year, and just started back in the lab that I have worked in for the past few summers, so will be working there 4 days a week, and will be spending the 5th day volunteering in a clinic (I literally just started these things). Many secondaries gave me the opportunity to explain what my plans are, so I wrote in general terms for most of them ("I plan to continue in research, gain more experience volunteering in a clinical setting, etc."). So, 2 questions:

1. Would it be helpful to send an update just so they are aware that I have definite positions, and can describe what they involve?

2. From what I read, you should tie it in with why you want to go to the school. I already wrote a "why your school" for the majority that I applied to, and really have nothing new to offer on that front. Problem?

I just can't help but feel that schools seeing that I'm working on filling in a bit of a hole in my application could make a difference between interview and rejection. No?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't send one in before the interview, because you can just tell them at the interview. Definitely send one after the interview if you have have any updates. If you don't have anything new, just send them a letter expressing your interest in their program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's generally recommended to wait awhile and use an update letter to throw your name back in the mix post-interview or while on waitlist, BUT...

I think my clinical experience hours are the weakest part of my application. I'm taking a gap year, and just started back in the lab that I have worked in for the past few summers, so will be working there 4 days a week, and will be spending the 5th day volunteering in a clinic (I literally just started these things). Many secondaries gave me the opportunity to explain what my plans are, so I wrote in general terms for most of them ("I plan to continue in research, gain more experience volunteering in a clinical setting, etc."). So, 2 questions:

1. Would it be helpful to send an update just so they are aware that I have definite positions, and can describe what they involve?

2. From what I read, you should tie it in with why you want to go to the school. I already wrote a "why your school" for the majority that I applied to, and really have nothing new to offer on that front. Problem?

I just can't help but feel that schools seeing that I'm working on filling in a bit of a hole in my application could make a difference between interview and rejection. No?

It may or may not be helpful. I can think of at least a number of schools that do appreciate and even encourage update letters if your application is on hold, because it shows you have a real interest in the school. On the other hand, many simply don't care or even consider updates (albany for example). Just keep it brief and concise, it certainly won't hurt you.

When I applied last cycle I thought there was some aspect of my application that was slightly holding me back, so in December I sent an update to every school that had yet to send me an invite except for one. That one school where I didn't send an update was the one place I got an interview.

The point in this? Schools don't care much for updates until your at the interview stage. Still I don't think it hurts to send them.

Thanks for the replies so far. If I were to write a letter, would you all suggest that I just keep it to a paragraph, strictly describing what I am doing, or is it necessary to blither on about why it makes me perfect of their school and why I want to go there?

Like I said, I kind of feel like I've told most of them why I want to do there, and none of these things change that. But is a letters not as affective if it's so cut-and-dry "this is what I starting doing since I applied"?