Should I size up my suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toofh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a suit with two buttons (Please tell me if the number of buttons matters). When I wear it, it looks good in my opinion. I can fit a fist between the belly area of my torso and the suit. However, I feel a little tight around my waist area. Should I size up my suit so it looks the model in the picture. I have attached my picture (the one without a face lol) and picture from the internet. The suit that the model wears is looser than my suit

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• man_in_suit_108003324.jpg
    man_in_suit_108003324.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20140829_073714.jpg
    IMG_20140829_073714.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 287
I think it looks fine! The model's definitely looks a little looser, but yours doesn't look bad either! Try raising your hands, move around a little bit... does it fill tight? Do "folds"/"lines" form on your back when you put both of your hands in front of you? Does it fill right to raise your hand? If so, then you should size it up. If not, I think it looks good! (I hope you know what I mean by "folds" or "lines".. Don't know what else to call them, but basically those usually appear if a jacket or a dress is too tight.)

Suits have minimal effect on the interviewing process if it's anything like med school. I wore a pretty damn poorly fitting cheap suit and got admitted to every school I interviewed at. Don't split hairs over your suit or stress over it excessively, as it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you can't button the bottom button on a suit bro

Reactions: 3 users
There are only two buttons in my suit.... still cant button the bottom one

Aw hell yeah clothing discussion, anyway I can't tell. Put one of your arms down so I can see the level the shoulder drops to. Try to buy a charcoal color suit since pure black suits are normally for funerals (not like most people care).

Canadian Tux maybe?

Last edited:
You never button the bottom button. The two-button jacket usually lets the shirt and bottom of your tie show which can look a little awkward but its completely acceptable. With a two-button jacket you also have the option to leave it completely unbuttoned even while walking/standing.

Trust me guys I'm a fashion expert, I watched half of an episode of project runway.

Don't base your suit expectations on that picture. If anything, that guy's suit is too big.

His suit has an 80s-90s style where boxier was encouraged. Today's style is much tighter and form fitting.

On that note, your suit looks fine. Charcoal/Gray/Navy > Black, but nobody is going to care.

I was always told you should never button the bottom one.

The Suit (From a guy who has read read fashion magazines has seen runway shows)
1. Getting the right suit: Firstly, suits are not cheap. Even on sale, you can expect to pay around $150 and up. However, suits do last a long time so think of them as an investment. There are different styles, different fits. Pick the one you fill most comfortable in as well as the appropriate one for the occasion.
2. "Button or not to button" : When walking/standing, button all the buttons minus the last one. (There are certain styles of suits where you need to button all of the buttons). When sitting down, you unbutton the top button (the suit is completely unbutton). Again, there are exceptions depending on the suit you are wearing.
3. The tie... or the bow tie(For those Dr. Who fans): Make sure the tie matches the shirt. Make sure it's crisp (no wrinkles) and that it's length is appropriate. The width of the tie: This depends on your style and the style of your suit. I would keep it safe and go for the normal width instead of the modern skinny ties. The bow tie: One: you MUST be able to know how to put one on. I have heard of people wearing a bow tie and getting asked to demonstrate how to put one on. Two: You better have the personality for wearing a bow tie.
4. LASTLY, DO NOT WEAR A STUPID CLIP ON!!!

Does all of this matter? Yes and No. It depends on the school and the region.

Get it fitted. The extra money is relatively cheap in the grand scope of things. Pay the extra $50-$75 dollars to get it custom fitted. It can only help you and will last you a long time.

The suit looks on point. DO NOT button bottom button though. If you want to look a bit sharper, maybe try a different colored shirt. Only my opinion, but I think almost everyone is going to be wearing black suits white shirts. Look up YouTube videos man, there's so much information everywhere.

Looks good man but if you really want that "suave look", get the pants tapered in at a tailor and buy a more fitted white dress shirt. I buy all my blazers and sportcoats from EXPRESS. They fit beautifully since their cloths already come fitted.

Get yourself a skinny tie and tie bar too.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THE FIRST GUY … First impressions are KEY. Sure you don't need to look snazzy to get accepted … but at the same time, when you dress well, you feel confident.

According to ancient legend one leaves the bottom button un-buttoned because of King Edward VII. Apparently he became so large that he was unable to button his bottom button, and as to not offend the king those associated with him did the same. Since England had a great influence on the rest of the world back then the tradition quickly spread.

I agree with SportsLover21. A great first impression goes a long way. Plus it just feels great looking money.

Reactions: 1 users
I got my suit yesterday and I hope it makes a good first impression.

Last edited:
My suit is being tailored now; I pick it up Sunday for my interview next week. Can't wait!