Should I stay in medical school....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abbeyroad35

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Current 2nd year, I've been struggling in school pretty much from the beginning, but with the second year curriculum (our school does system based with 1st year focus on basic sciences/anatomy and second year more on pathology and clinical medicine), I have found the second year material to be much less enjoyable for me in comparison to first year even though there is supposed to be more patient and clinical focus.

Before coming to medical school, I wanted to be in a profession where I can coach and be a mentor to patients to their medical problems and felt that medical school would be the best way I can do that, which was why I got out of my background in Mech Engineering (as I didn't feel this would be as much direct help). Overtime I've realized that nurses do more of the direct care of the patient and doctors are more of the oversight of the nurses, or at least that's what I've perceived these first 2 years. I was also very successful in school in my engineering degree and really enjoyed the critical thinking and creating new ideas mentality in that field that I recently have missed a lot because in med school it just seems like a lot of fact memorization and algorithm run throughs

I feel really hesitant making this decision because I actually haven't done third year yet and actually experienced the doctor's role in the healthcare setting, but I also don't want to dig myself a hole too deep if life or the situation never improves. Do you guys have any insight into what I should do? What is 3rd and 4th year of med school like compared to 3rd and 4th year? Did you find life more manageable or less manageable once the clinical rotations started? Do doctors actually have the 1 on 1 mentor-like influence on patients that I was hoping for when I applied? I know this is a lot, but I figured some of the insight here would be a good start. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a weird idea of medicine if you think that the role of a doctor is the overseeing of nurses and having no interaction with your patients. You'll have tons of interactions with patients and their lives daily.

Also I don't understand why you're deciding to quit now when the memorizing heavy first two years are almost done.

I don't think any of us know what medicine really is until we actually start rotating in hospitals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
In all seriousness, I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Current 2nd year, I've been struggling in school pretty much from the beginning, but with the second year curriculum (our school does system based with 1st year focus on basic sciences/anatomy and second year more on pathology and clinical medicine), I have found the second year material to be much less enjoyable for me in comparison to first year even though there is supposed to be more patient and clinical focus.

Before coming to medical school, I wanted to be in a profession where I can coach and be a mentor to patients to their medical problems and felt that medical school would be the best way I can do that, which was why I got out of my background in Mech Engineering (as I didn't feel this would be as much direct help). Overtime I've realized that nurses do more of the direct care of the patient and doctors are more of the oversight of the nurses, or at least that's what I've perceived these first 2 years. I was also very successful in school in my engineering degree and really enjoyed the critical thinking and creating new ideas mentality in that field that I recently have missed a lot because in med school it just seems like a lot of fact memorization and algorithm run throughs

I feel really hesitant making this decision because I actually haven't done third year yet and actually experienced the doctor's role in the healthcare setting, but I also don't want to dig myself a hole too deep if life or the situation never improves. Do you guys have any insight into what I should do? What is 3rd and 4th year of med school like compared to 3rd and 4th year? Did you find life more manageable or less manageable once the clinical rotations started? Do doctors actually have the 1 on 1 mentor-like influence on patients that I was hoping for when I applied? I know this is a lot, but I figured some of the insight here would be a good start. Thanks!
Lol, what.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, well aside from the confusion about what the actual difference between nurses and doctors are, what about the lifestyle in years 3/4 and residency compared to years 1 and 2? Better? Worse? I'm just concerned because the more clinically focused my curriculum has gotten the more unmotivated I get

Nobody likes M2, so don't decide your future based on hating M2.

M3 seems to be either a 'love it' or 'hate it' thing. If you love it, you're in the right profession. If you hate it, depending on why you hate it, that could be useful information, so give it at least until midway through M3 before you make any decisions.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm assuming you already paid for this semester's tuition. Sticking around for one more year/half a year isn't going to dig yourself into a much deeper hole. M3 is vastly different in comparison, you might be pleasantly surprised in what lies ahead.

If you're not into it now, it's the best time to leave (before step-1).
Every single doc in my family loathed the preclinical years but love being a physician so not sure what you're getting at. In fact I've never met a doc who actually liked M1-2. Before I matriculated they all told me, more or less, "Just get through the hell that is the first two years."

Reactions: 1 users
If you're not into it now, it's the best time to leave (before step-1).

Admittedly I am kind of surprised you said this. I get the impression the OP would likely be very happy in FM if they crave the ability to coach their patients and be involved in deep interpersonal relations.

And the OP is an engineer. They are notorious for struggling through the first two years due to being more mathematically inclined.

Admittedly I am kind of surprised you said this. I get the impression the OP would likely be very happy in FM if they crave the ability to coach their patients and be involved in deep interpersonal relations.

And the OP is an engineer. They are notorious for struggling through the first two years due to being more mathematically inclined.

That's an encouraging sign, FM is actually what I would consider my top choice right now, that or Psych.

Every single doc in my family loathed the preclinical years but love being a physician so not sure what you're getting at. In fact I've never met a doc who actually liked M1-2. Before I matriculated they all told me, more or less, "Just get through the hell that is the first two years."

Most everyone does hate M1-M2.

The thing is, it doesn't get easier, it just gets different. Surely you know this.

All I'm saying is that in my opinion, Med-school is too expensive to hang around in hoping it will get better. If one isn't 100% invested in the task at hand, it likely won't get better either.

My advice is merely op is considering leaving, best to make the decision before the debt piles up higher, and before taking boards.

But it's just advice from one person. I thought that's what OP came here for.

Yeah, but a struggle in the first two years doesn't necessarily bode well for the future. You can't get by in FM merely by being good at coaching and having good interpersonal relations. They're important skills, but the medical knowledge needs to be there, and the desire to apply it too.

Last edited:
Most everyone does hate M1-M2.

The thing is, it doesn't get easier, it just gets different. Surely you know this.

All I'm saying is that in my opinion, Med-school is too expensive to hang around in hoping it will get better. If one isn't 100% invested in the task at hand, it likely won't get better either.

My advice is merely op is considering leaving, best to make the decision before the debt piles up higher, and before taking boards.

But it's just advice from one person. I thought that's what OP came here for.

Yeah, but a struggle in the first two years doesn't necessarily bode well for the future, even in FM.
Ah, now I understand where you're coming from. My mistake, doc.

Fair assessment.

M1 was okay but M2 was a **** show for me. Then the clouds part after step 1 and it gets a lot better from there. Kinda like High School. Freshman year was cool because there's all the novelty of being in high school. Sophomore year sucks because you're still an underclassman and the classes are more of the same just a little harder. You're a year farther but still no where closer to any clinical medicine. Then Junior year hits and finally you get some street cred, go to more parties, have a bigger role on the sports team, find a better drug dealer, go out with a senior, stuff like that. Then senior year you realize that it all kinda sucked and you just cant wait to be done.

Hang in there

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we need to unpack a few things.

1) Doctors don't just oversee nurses. Sure that may seem like that's all certain doctors do, but it's not.

2) Engineering in school is very different than engineering in industry, and engineering in academia tends to have the same pitfalls you described, being very separated from the end result or help/change you're working towards. Engineering in school and research is all about the idea and innovation. In most cases, that's not the focus on industry. Industry is all about meeting deadlines whether the product is perfect or not, and generally speaking you're not innovating or at least not doing so with your ideas for quite some time.

3) You don't seem to like Path, and especially not 2nd year. I don't know anyone that likes 2nd year. I actually really enjoyed path, but I hated 2nd year. The stress of it all, the sheer volume, and honestly the lack of a connection between why I actually wanted to be a physician took its toll on me. It wasn't until I shadowed an FM doc and volunteered in a free clinic midway through 2nd year that I remembered what I love about medicine: talking to patients, explaining their disease, figuring their obstacles to care, and trying to find ways around them. That honestly motivated me to power through the suck of 2nd year and boards.

4) You don't act like a doctor in 3rd year, you're more or less just surrounded by medicine. That said, you do get opportunities for patient contact that you describe.

5) 3rd year is not easier than 2nd year, its just different. You have less time, the second you get used to something, you're thrown in a different situation with different people doing different things, and you are literally going from one awkward moment to the next just trying not to be in the way. That said, you start to actually interact with patients and see medicine. If you can cut through all the fog, you can get a glimpse of what it's like to be a physician.

You've already paid your tuition for this semester. You've also probably already paid the fee and scheduled Level 1. If all that's left is one semester of 3rd year tuition, I'd hold out. Sure, it's a lot of money, but it's not nearly as much as what you've already spent, so it's worth it to know if there's even a chance you could be happy.

If this was 1st semester, I might be saying something different, but you've already spent so much, a little more to have peace of mind that you're making the right decision is a no-brainer.

I know someone who had doubts throughout med school. They waited until 4 mos into 3rd year to take a LOA to work on a startup, then they came back a year later and finished. It worked for them. You could do the same.

Reactions: 6 users
I wanted to be in a profession where I can coach and be a mentor to patients to their medical problems and felt that medical school would be the best way I can do that, which was why I got out of my background in Mech Engineering

What is 3rd and 4th year of med school like compared to 3rd and 4th year? Did you find life more manageable or less manageable once the clinical rotations started? Do doctors actually have the 1 on 1 mentor-like influence on patients that I was hoping for when I applied?

You don't go to medical school because you like medical school - you do it because you want to be a practicing physician, which is 7-10 years out from starting medical school. Training sucks for the most part; doesn't mean you can't enjoy it or have a life, but it's not going to be the end to your dreams.

It seems like you have an odd view of what a doctor is or should be. Maybe you didn't shadow enough in premed. But practicing medicine (I believe) is much better than training for that career. Gain yourself some perspective and thinkk about sticking with your program.

Capture_1.PNG
Capture_2.PNG
Capture_3.PNG

Judging by the variety of your previous claims as to what year in school you are, not sure if troll or wut

Reactions: 3 users

You need to get laid or go on a FAP marathon during stressful times.

Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 216982 View attachment 216983 View attachment 216984

Judging by the variety of your previous claims as to what year in school you are, not sure if troll or wut

Realistically the only claim that is inconsistent was the initial post (second image) that said 2nd year. If you read the post, it sure sounds like they're a 1st year. Who in 2nd year is extolling the virtues of anatomy?

Sounds to me like OP might actually now be a 2nd year, and either misspoke or thought it would be taken more seriously if they said they were a 2nd year when they were actually a first year, either that or they counted the year they had to repeat as their "first" year.

Low blow dude, Considering you are Class of 2021 , ie not even in school yet, your opinion means nothing....
It apparently meant enough for you to threaten me over PM

Reactions: 10 users
lol@this thread

I love this forum...

Reactions: 5 users
Reported and awaiting splat of the Banhammer.

Ya'll f*cking suck. Literally the scum of the earth... I'm honestly trying to answer a personal question and you basically blatantly target and bully me online?!?!!? People like you are part of why I'm considering not going into this profession anyway. Maybe you should consider that medical school doesn't come easy to some people and causes a lot of emotional burden on some people! LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE. I feel sorry for whatever patients have the misfortunate of you guys as their doctors.

Ya'll f*cking suck. Literally the scum of the earth... I'm honestly trying to answer a personal question and you basically blatantly target and bully me online?!?!!? People like you are part of why I'm considering not going into this profession anyway. Maybe you should consider that medical school doesn't come easy to some people and causes a lot of emotional burden on some people! LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE. I feel sorry for whatever patients have the misfortunate of you guys as their doctors.
Seems like several people tried to answer your question bruh

Nobody bullied you and seeing as you've claimed to be a second year in 2015 and a first year in 2016 not sure anyone believes you.

you-suck-at-being-polite-sir_o_1538797.jpg

Reread my original advice and take it to heart.

Sex calms the mind. It works for me.

Well that escalated quickly. With all due respect, I think people were answering your questions. TRIGGER WARNING: You might want to refrain from responding like this when a PD questions your medical school record on a residency interview...... unless you're a troll, in which case you need a better hobbie

Last edited:
I think you have a weird idea of medicine if you think that the role of a doctor is the overseeing of nurses and having no interaction with your patients. You'll have tons of interactions with patients and their lives daily.

Also I don't understand why you're deciding to quit now when the memorizing heavy first two years are almost done.

I don't think any of us know what medicine really is until we actually start rotating in hospitals.

Not to mention whoever this person is, if they completed two years of school, they are in a lot of debt.

Ahhh, the satisfying splat of the Banhammer.

Well that escalated quickly. With all due respect, I think people were answering your questions. TRIGGER WARNING: You might want to refrain from responding like this when a PD questions your medical school record on a residency interview...... unless you're a troll, in which case you need a better hobbie

M1 was okay but M2 was a **** show for me. Then the clouds part after step 1 and it gets a lot better from there. Kinda like High School. Freshman year was cool because there's all the novelty of being in high school. Sophomore year sucks because you're still an underclassman and the classes are more of the same just a little harder. You're a year farther but still no where closer to any clinical medicine. Then Junior year hits and finally you get some street cred, go to more parties, have a bigger role on the sports team, find a better drug dealer, go out with a senior, stuff like that. Then senior year you realize that it all kinda sucked and you just cant wait to be done.

Hang in there
this just blew my mind

Hang in there

So, what's MS4 equivalence of an orgy?

If you were honest about your questions and where your position is, people wouldn't be "mean" to you.

Last edited:
So, what's MS4 equivalence of an orgy?

It's when you end up on the same rural med rotation as your buddy. You both wanted it to happen but it took the act of god/admins to get you there. It's a rural rotation in the middle of nowhere and you've only seen places like this on Fargo or when you're watching the life time network in the ob lounge. You end up meeting some cool, edgy surgeon and asks if you guys want to scrub in on a case. His PA looks low key goth and you just saw the CRNA smoking outside but the scrub tech is kinda cute so you guys decide to go in. Turns out hes a urologist and that nephrectomy got cancelled and you're stuck at the reigns of a cystoscopy. . You're buddy is up at the head with the CRNA trying to intubate but he can't get the tube in because of something about not having a stylet and you're down at the feet just trying to not get piss on your face.

It's when you end up on the same rural med rotation as your buddy. You both wanted it to happen but it took the act of god/admins to get you there. It's a rural rotation in the middle of nowhere and you've only seen places like this on Fargo or when you're watching the life time network in the ob lounge. You end up meeting some cool, edgy surgeon and asks if you guys want to scrub in on a case. His PA looks low key goth and you just saw the CRNA smoking outside but the scrub tech is kinda cute so you guys decide to go in. Turns out hes a urologist and that nephrectomy got cancelled and you're stuck at the reigns of a cystoscopy. . You're buddy is up at the head with the CRNA trying to intubate but he can't get the tube in because of something about not having a stylet and you're down at the feet just trying to not get piss on your face.

this is so real. is this anecdotal? lmao